Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Water Wheel/Big River this weekend ??

76miller
    Whos going out this weekend and staying until the 5th ? I always go to Big Bend in Parker and I get beat up pretty bad out there in the middle of the day. Looking to cruise the other side of the dam with somebody that is familiar with the sand bars ?? Is anybody gonna be around this weekend through Thursday ??? -76miller

76miller
    Cool.....well when I'm beached up on a sand bar this weekend atleast throw a beer can at me when you drive by !

breezeblocker
    br from friday night till next saturday, i'll throw something at ya

Twins+one
    Whos going out this weekend and staying until the 5th ? I always go to Big Bend in Parker and I get beat up pretty bad out there in the middle of the day. Looking to cruise the other side of the dam with somebody that is familiar with the sand bars ?? Is anybody gonna be around this weekend through Thursday ??? -76miller
    Just stay to AZ side and you will be fine!!!

OverKill
    I won't be there until Labor Day, if your gonna be there then I will start saving my cans now LOL

76miller
    So the AZ side is the safest ? I was probably gonna launch near the Wheeler Inn, and just float till I see some other boats. If anybody else has some helpful info I'm all ears, .... or just save your cans.lol

OverKill
    So the AZ side is the safest ? I was probably gonna launch near the Wheeler Inn, and just float till I see some other boats. If anybody else has some helpful info I'm all ears, .... or just save your cans.lol
    76 Miller
    You don't want to be on the AZ side if your headed down to lost lake from wheeler INN. You don't want to be right in the center of the river you want to be about 25 feet from center to the right/California side.
    Also before you launch look accross the river on the other side you will be able to see where the water line should be at max fill. I believe if your at Wheeler Inn, that is the California side just next to the bridge. If you see any islands under the Rail Road bridge, it is still way to low.
    If you want a better guess as to what Time to head out, between 11:30 and Noon you should be fine. If you need to refill the cooler, you can go down river from Wheeler Inn and you will see another park on the right/California Side. It's called the Doc Restuarant, the best part about it is you can doc your boat and walk about 100 feet to the resturant. They have an outdoor window just for beer sales.
    My best advise is to go to virtualearth.com and type in Big River California. they just up dated all the images so you can get a better idea of where everything is.
    Good luck and have a blast, maybe we will meet up on Labor Day
    OverKill

76miller
    Overkill- thanks alot for the info, I will do my best on dodging those sandbars ! Docs Restuarant sounds pretty cool too, I will have to check it out. I'm sure after I get it figured out on this side of the dam I'll be moving the trailer, I can't hang with those wake board boats much longer ! Hope to meet ya on Labor Day. Thanks again.-76miller

76 Miller
    You don't want to be on the AZ side if your headed down to lost lake from wheeler INN. You don't want to be right in the center of the river you want to be about 25 feet from center to the right/California side.
    Also before you launch look accross the river on the other side you will be able to see where the water line should be at max fill. I believe if your at Wheeler Inn, that is the California side just next to the bridge. If you see any islands under the Rail Road bridge, it is still way to low.
    If you want a better guess as to what Time to head out, between 11:30 and Noon you should be fine. If you need to refill the cooler, you can go down river from Wheeler Inn and you will see another park on the right/California Side. It's called the Doc Restuarant, the best part about it is you can doc your boat and walk about 100 feet to the resturant. They have an outdoor window just for beer sales.
    My best advise is to go to virtualearth.com and type in Big River California. they just up dated all the images so you can get a better idea of where everything is.
    Good luck and have a blast, maybe we will meet up on Labor Day
    OverKill
    Overkill- thanks alot for the info, I will do my best on dodging those sandbars ! Docs Restuarant sounds pretty cool too, I will have to check it out. I'm sure after I get it figured out on this side of the dam I'll be moving the trailer, I can't hang with those wake board boats much longer ! Hope to meet ya on Labor Day. Thanks again.-76miller
    I headed south from BR at 12:40 and hit the rock bar about a half hour later. As some others have told me (after the fact) you can beat the river's flow when running down stream. Figure the current is 5 mph and I was going 40 and change. Sure the level LOOKED GOOD when I left out of Big River, and it should've been late enough in the day, but it wasn't. If I'da left a half hour later all would've been fine.
    As it turned out I just got done setting my motor back in after having to strip, flip, and repair some damaged glass. I wasn't trying to be a hero, just didn't know any better. Guess what????? I do now. I'll never try that run again unless I know the river is at it's fullest.
    If I'm making you nervous that's good. Try to find someone that knows the dealio to go with if at all possible.
    Here are some of the pitfalls of hitting something while downstream (especially if you're boat is disabled) It's a long way back up stream. Oh yeah, one other thing. You keep talking about hitting sand bars. They're rock bars. Although there may be a sand bar or two somewhere, all the ones I've seen are rock.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=153520

76miller
    Squirtcha- Sorry to hear about your luck. I was pretty much planning on floating until I see somebody that might be local. I'm actually really nervous because I just dumped alot of $$ into the pump but I know that there is alot of other boats with alot more $$ into them on this side of the dam and they can't stop talking about the place so I'm going for it. Good looking out though -76miller

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast