Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alpha one and a Big Block, bad idea?

havasuboy
    I have a real mild BBC 454 with about 350hp and maybe around 400tq. If I am smart about it and don't throttle the hell out of the thing do you think the alpha will last a season or 2? I have a 23' sleekcraft executive with a blown up SBC in it now and have a fresh 454 just sitting here in my garage. Just cant justify spending $3500+ on a Bravo for such a old boat.. I never go full throttle out of the hole and am more interested in top speed rather than how long it takes to get there. I will do it regardless of what anyone says I am just wondering how long it will last or if anyone else is successfully doing this.. Thanks guys!

djunkie
    At 1 time mercruiser did pair up a 454 with an Alpha 1 so it is possible. But like you said I'd still be careful getting on plane even though it is a mild BBC.

Ryan00TJ
    I really don't see a problem since your not going to be giving alot of throttle out of the hole. Once up to speed you should be able to pound on it all you want. Your boat should not take much throttle to get up on plane to begin with. If you do happen to get the prop out of the water wave jumping make sure to get off the throttle. It's hard on the drive coming back in under WOT. For some added insurance add a drive shower and use synthetic oil.

1BADVECTOR
    hey I have a 454 that is stock with the alpha and the boat does great. I did add a drive shower to the boat for a little extra help. they are l ike a $120 at eddie marine or rex marine it is worth the money. all my buddies know their stuff and told me to do that

bikerboater
    If you check, there's a thread about 4 down in this section on Alphas. I posted there with my thoughts on the Alpha. You'll get different opinions. My experiances have been good provideing the drive is in top condition. I also believe in the synthetic oil. I use the Merc HP stuff. You can bust a Bravo too, geting the prop out of the water & back in under throttle.

BDMar
    The Mercs with Alpha drives and 454's were 330 HP and about the same torque. If your engine has a true 400 lbs of torque, that is what will be the hardest on the drive. The Exectutive is not that light of a boat and the bottom has a lot of drag. When you add that to the low rpm torque curve on that BBC you will have to be very careful. When the boat rolls over on plane is when the drive takes most of it's abuse and your engine will be making a lot of torque at that point also.
    Make sure it idles out of gear below 700 rpm's for shifting and be very easy on the throttle.
    The most common failure is breaking the drivshaft at the o-ring groove just below the splines where the top and bottom join.

deeee
    I have the same boat Ive look into upgrading the motor your better off just buying another boat with the bravo. Why not just keep it simple and put another 350 in it. I dont know if you have all the parts for the big block such as exhaust mainfold and intake and stuff but by time you start buying that stuff you could of bought a 350 long block.

havasuboy
    Deee I do have all the stuff, I originally was building a 70 Kona Daycruiser and had every part for that then the Sleek came along. I just got the 454 back from my engine builder. I am gonna give it a whirl and see what she does with BBC power. I will just be careful with it. I will definatly run a drive shower and synthetic fluid! Thanks for all the replys guys! Anyone lookin for a Kona Daycruiser 90% restored?

watergun4u
    just my .02 but I can pretty much tell you that the drive unit is not going to last that long with the stock gears that are in it, unless you have changed them, and if your cupler is old,it's going to spin the hub in it!, but if you are going to do it anyway, then I would suggest you use a stainless prop, so you don't get the flex of a alum one!, If it was mine, I would not do it, cause I can promise you, that thing's are going to break!!!!!!!!

bikerboater
    Deee I do have all the stuff, I originally was building a 70 Kona Daycruiser and had every part for that then the Sleek came along. I just got the 454 back from my engine builder. I am gonna give it a whirl and see what she does with BBC power. I will just be careful with it. I will definatly run a drive shower and synthetic fluid! Thanks for all the replys guys! Anyone lookin for a Kona Daycruiser 90% restored?
    Sounds like the same concerns and situation I had back in 1990. I had a 406 that I started building for a Camaro project that got sold off less motor & tranny to buy the boat. Never could get a concences as to wether the Alpha was strong enough or not. Some have had good results and some bad. Since you have all the stuff, I say go for it. One thing about Alphas is they seem pretty cheap these days. Just remember to let us know how it works for you.
    BTW, Merc said the SS drive wouldn't work on my boat cause it was a heavy family tub. Meanwhile, it picked up a solid 10mph with just that and the prop change! Guess you can't believe everything you hear. I've learned that when you start modifying a car, boat, motorcycle ect., there never are any garantees.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast