Thread: Procharger- Temp and Oil Pressure

trawfish
    I just installed a Procharger on my boat. The installation was a little tough because the manual sucks bad and Procharger's customer service is totally worthless, thank god I have a few fab skills. I will say this being my first supercharger, I am happy with the results so far.
    Procharger has you remove the thermosat and my running temp barely registeres on the guage. My oil pressure is never less than 60 psi and goes well above 80 when running hard. Among other things, I didn't want to burst the filter so I changed to lower viscosity oil and it helped a little but I am still concerned.
    Question #1 - Does anybody have the obvious answer to cure this?
    Question #2 - I have read threads on OSO that state there is a 120 Deg. thermostat available that will help the engine gain a little heat, does anybody know where to get one???
    Thanks,
    Steve

DMOORE
    What was the oil pressure before the install? Mercruiser carries a 120 Degree stat.
    Darrell.

cfm
    What motor is it on ?
    If factory EFI you need some more water heat for ECU to work better (ie: get out of cold enrichment)
    If you have a water crossover, adding a t-stat can cause high water psi problems.
    If carbed, water temp isn't that important but oil temp IS! We should check oil temp's and make sure 210-240 or so when running hard. 180+ before you get on the throttle.

trawfish
    What was the oil pressure before the install? Mercruiser carries a 120 Degree stat.
    Darrell.
    60+ cold idle and then around 20 warm idle and up about 10psi per 1000 rpm...
    The only 120 Deg. thermostat I have found by mercruiser very different in shape and I think it goes in an outboard or something. Do you know the part # by chance?

trawfish
    What motor is it on ?
    If factory EFI you need some more water heat for ECU to work better (ie: get out of cold enrichment)
    If you have a water crossover, adding a t-stat can cause high water psi problems.
    If carbed, water temp isn't that important but oil temp IS! We should check oil temp's and make sure 210-240 or so when running hard. 180+ before you get on the throttle.
    7.4 MPI
    I am to understand Procharger wants the ecm to stay in cold enrichment to help with detonation. It runs great so far, just concerned with high oil pressure.
    I do have a crossover and I read about drilling 3 - 1/4 holes in the t-stat for bypass to keep the exhaust from overheating during warm up. I agree with the water pressure problem before t-stat opens, don't know what to do for bypass.
    Oil and water temp is a bit of a ? for me right now, during procharger installation I found the oil cooler to be about 90% blocked with rocks/sand. Engine always ran warm before, now it stays pegged cold, could be combination of no t-stat and water finally flowing. I don't have an oil temp guage, so i'm unsure of oil temp.

cfm
    If your going to leave the ATI cooling system / fuel enrichment thing the way they suggest, I would 1 million % get an oil temp guage installed.
    With cold water, your oil temp may not get up to proper temp and/or take forever to get up to proper temp. You do not want to push a motor with less than 180°F oil temp. For best oil temp you'll want 210-240 to keep water condensation and fuel contamination to a minimum.
    Water temp dramatically influences oil temp. If you end up running some sort of t-stat or restrictor you will need to install a water psi guage to make sure you are not overpressurizing the system !!! Been there, done that !
    ATI's instructions and fuel enrichment and tech help have always had a lot to be desired. Speaking with seasoned Procharger installers - if willing to speak to you - will many times lead you to a successful build vs a chronic problem one.
    While you work on this system / run the boat, keep looking at and smelling the oil. It can become fuel diluted fast.