Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: got my blown tx wet today!!thanx guys for the help!

IMPATIENT 1
    Though a broken oil pump spring is definately not right.....if you had oil pressure problems...odds are more than #4 main would be effected.
    Be sure to check the line hone. Especially after #4 has spun. Make sure you have .0035 main bearing clearance.....that the crank is straight and not cracked.
    The main caps better locate and fit tightly or you may have this problem again.
    Just some things to check.
    thanx guys for the concern, its not a big deal, i got her shut down before anything really got tore up. its stuck babbet material to the #4 main journal but didn;t even scratch it! i had the mains turned 10 over on the low side for race clearence and the block got 2 new main caps(#2 & #4) that i think are sloppy feeling. its already at the machine shop getting line bored and honed. the block came with the boat and was already studded with arps on the mains but i went ahead and installed a new arp stud kit for peace of mind.i should be putting it back together this coming saturday and making some runs on sunday.
    i was disapointed but with all the damn rain we're gettin, my lake is closed due to flooding. all the lakes around are so high, it'd be dangerous to run my tx-19 on them due to floating logs and debris.
    bigchris, those pics of your ole vdrive have stuck into my brain and make this down time more bearable knowing the boat would be in my shop anyways wether it was runnin or not imagine what a floating tree would do to my boat!

IMPATIENT 1
    Though a broken oil pump spring is definately not right.....if you had oil pressure problems...odds are more than #4 main would be effected.
    Be sure to check the line hone. Especially after #4 has spun. Make sure you have .0035 main bearing clearance.....that the crank is straight and not cracked.
    The main caps better locate and fit tightly or you may have this problem again.
    Just some things to check.
    bearing clearence was good, the 1st thought that came to mind when i was being pulled to the trailer was "i got a main to tight". i left the lake and went to the dealership, pulled the specs i wrote down outta my toolbox and looked at everything again. #4 was on the money. i honestly think the bearing got starved, and cocked the main alittle when is shifted a cap. that cap was tight but i could break it loose from the block by hand, which lead me to think it walked. the rest of the mains had to be broke loose with my rubber mallet.i laid the mains back into the block and looked at it without the crank and sure enough the #4 bearings was sitting crooked in the main bore, tells me it walked the cap some. i went to the machine shop and he had 8-10 caps that were like new and let me take em home for matching up. i found 2 that lined up nice on main #2 and main #4. so i installed the new studs, cleaned everything up again and torqued the mains down, sent it for line boring and honing. machine shop said the crank was fine.he magged it, dyed it and came up with nothing.its ready to pick up but i'm waiting for the block to be finished before i pick up anything. self's racing is the shop who balanced the rotating assembly and i had him check the crank, its was new but ups is rough on shiat.glen self said it balanced easy and the crank was flawless. everything is forged eagle, eagle h-beams withl19's, eagle 4340 lightened forged crank, srp blower flat tops. all bearings where clevite, and i used coated h bearings on the mains just in case some shit went down, glad i did cause i think a regular h bearing would have done more damage.

BIGCHRIS
    bearing clearence was good, the 1st thought that came to mind when i was being pulled to the trailer was "i got a main to tight". i left the lake and went to the dealership, pulled the specs i wrote down outta my toolbox and looked at everything again. #4 was on the money. i honestly think the bearing got starved, and cocked the main alittle when is shifted a cap. that cap was tight but i could break it loose from the block by hand, which lead me to think it walked. the rest of the mains had to be broke loose with my rubber mallet.i laid the mains back into the block and looked at it without the crank and sure enough the #4 bearings was sitting crooked in the main bore, tells me it walked the cap some. i went to the machine shop and he had 8-10 caps that were like new and let me take em home for matching up. i found 2 that lined up nice on main #2 and main #4. so i installed the new studs, cleaned everything up again and torqued the mains down, sent it for line boring and honing. machine shop said the crank was fine.he magged it, dyed it and came up with nothing.its ready to pick up but i'm waiting for the block to be finished before i pick up anything. self's racing is the shop who balanced the rotating assembly and i had him check the crank, its was new but ups is rough on shiat.glen self said it balanced easy and the crank was flawless. everything is forged eagle, eagle h-beams withl19's, eagle 4340 lightened forged crank, srp blower flat tops. all bearings where clevite, and i used coated h bearings on the mains just in case some shit went down, glad i did cause i think a regular h bearing would have done more damage.
    So whats the latest Tom on your boat

1968Droptop
    Jesus, I missed ATX's thread, and somehow missed the end of this as well. REALLY REALLY sorry to read the back half of this post Tom. I can hear/feel your disappointment, but hopefully you'll get some seat time before Winter sets in. What oil are you running ???

IMPATIENT 1
    its runnin great, i put it back together last wk and took it out last sat with the family in tow. it ran awesome all day, not 1 motor prob. i do have a loading issue with the pump and i've been working on that for the past 3days and have gotten it cured i think. i ran 93gps sat. and the pump was cavitating badly at 93.i fixed the loading issue and i'm looking for 100+ this weekend outta it:devil: the motor had power to spare at 93(6900rpms before loading work, hope it turns 6700 afterwards)so i'm pretty sure i'll get to make my 1st 100+ pass , in my own boat, this weekend. i'm siked up, ready to goooooo i fed the pump alot more shoe and went with a different loader, blended the intake and speedcoated so its gotta be getting enough water now.last saturday it felt like i was trying to street race on gravel, just couldn't hookup. i'll post some pics sunday nite.

1968Droptop
    Nice pix !!! The hull looks dry enough for trips, did you get there ???

IMPATIENT 1
    Nice pix !!! The hull looks dry enough for trips, did you get there ???
    haven't went to the lake yet drop, maybe sat i can get away and play some. i finished up all the intake work last nite @6pm and it turned out nice. the speedcoat made it super slick, and i dropped the shoe to keel level, trying a different loader. its should see 100+ this weekend
    that pic is me doin @80, the loader was so deep in the water, it got to far outta the water from how much lift it was createing. i fixed it and now the shoe is gonna give lift instead of the loader doin it all. the boat was set-up to run 80 or below basically, or for a low hp set-up.

Gearhead
    Hey Tom,
    Boat is looking really good! Did you have a chance to work on your hardware some more over the weekend? If I may, I surely would recommend a life jacket when testing and especially when racing your boat.
    I’m really looking forward to Broken Bow Labor Day weekend!. I have not been to the lake in two or three weeks and need to get back out while it is still summer. So, I better get out to the garage and do a little maintenance… change oil, check valves and springs, etc.
    Hope to see that boat run soon. We need some pics of that boat on the Youngblood Jetboat website!
    Gear

IMPATIENT 1
    Hey Tom,
    Boat is looking really good! Did you have a chance to work on your hardware some more over the weekend? If I may, I surely would recommend a life jacket when testing and especially when racing your boat.
    I’m really looking forward to Broken Bow Labor Day weekend!. I have not been to the lake in two or three weeks and need to get back out while it is still summer. So, I better get out to the garage and do a little maintenance… change oil, check valves and springs, etc.
    Hope to see that boat run soon. We need some pics of that boat on the Youngblood Jetboat website!
    Gear
    gear, all the hardware changes really helped, the boat feels like its quik but i won't know till i pull up next to another fast gullwing. i'm gonna stick with my current set-up for labor day. i may add alittle more boost, timing and race fuel but that's it. i'll be getting sawed off alot but this will be my 1st time really racing it and i've got a learning curve to get over.
    we set a make shift track on my lake last weekend, marked off 1000ft and i practiced alittle, and can get 98 consistent in 100ft. may not be the fastest but i should be in the middle somewhere.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast