Thread: Steering Cable End-Play....How much?

CampbellCarl
    Kinda new to jets.......question is, how much steering cable end-play is normal? Have an older ('75) Howard Day Cruiser and don't like the steering wheel free-play. At the jet, measured approx 1/8" but at the wheel, that equals about 5/8" at the hub and 2" at the wheel. Too much? Do I need a new cable or rack?
    Thanx
    Carl

watergun4u
    do you have this problem when you are driving, on just sitting on the trailer?
    If you still have the steering lag while moving, then your rack or cable might be streatched! you can take up some adjustment in the through transom tube!

I've got a 22' daycruiser with a large amount of play at the "tube to lever" location. I can get the nozzle to move about 1" while on the trailer. The wheel is help at the fixed position.. When on the water at speed, 50 - 60, the boat goes straight, the wheel can and does turn 90 degrees left and right. I've changed the rotary helm kit, the cables twice and now I'm waiting for CP Perfomance to open Monday AM to replace everything with a rack system.
    But I have been working on a complete hydraulic system for recreational jet boats.