Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: SBC oiling mods

67weimann
    I am in the process of building a SBC for a jet and was curious to know if there are any oiling mods that should be done to a 400 SBC block to run in a jet??
    4.155 bore X 4.00 stroke...
    Hope to get a lot of help from you guys here being this is my first stroker motor I've built

VAMI
    Yes Hyd Or Solid? Do Use Top End Resrtictors If Its A Solid And Also Drill The Center 3 Oil Feed Holes Through The Cam Tunnel And Into The Main Oil Galley. The Drill Size Is .290 Or The Next Size Up From Original Hole. Those Center Mains Have To Feed 2 Rods As The Ends Only Feed One.also Get A Small Base Circle Cam And Rods That Are Clearanced For The Cam They Will Hit And Block Will Also Hit .the Best Way To Build It If Its In The Budget Is Get A Tall Deck Dart Block Cam Is Raised .300 To Clear All Roating Parts.

67weimann
    Plan on going solid roller. top end restrictors and drill the 3 oil feeds... got it. I know about small base circle cam and clearancing the block.
    Tall deck .300 raised cam would allow for a 4.125 stroke...I already have a 400 block that has been all prepped awaiting bore and hone.

maddad
    I'm no expert 67', but I did just finish a 400 based build. It looks like your combo is going to have limited room for con rod length, and will be RPM limited by that. With that in mind, the stock oiling setup should be fine.
    Please keep in mind, I know just enough to break parts regularly.

67weimann
    6.00 rod length...

Aluminum Squirt
    Seems like this discussion is pretty well advanced into hard parts and stuff that is way over my head, but I'll through out some obvious things. You've probably thought of these already:
    -Deburr all the oil drainbacks in the heads and lifter valley
    -Paint the lifter valley so any oil drains down more quickly
    -Aluminum Squirt

67weimann
    -Paint the lifter valley so any oil drains down more quickly
    -Aluminum Squirt
    First time I've heard of this. I'll look into it. Do you use regular high heat engine paint?

Aluminum Squirt
    I'm no engine builder but I've been told and read in a few books to grind out any burrs in the lifter valley and paint it up with something that will stick and withstand the heat (I think it was an epoxy paint but I don't have the article in front of me). It's not really too high heat of an area in the grand scheme of things. Its certainly not cool, but its no combustion chamber or header either. Anyway, the theory is that is seals up the small pores and lets the oil drain down faster, kind of like waxing your car. I think I read it in the old "How to Hot-Rod your SBC". Not sure if Smoky Yunich (sp?) wrote this book or just consulted on it. The book is way old school, not gonna see much about roller cams, synthetic oils etc in it but many of the principles are still rock solid even in 2007. Tons of little tricks in the book that are probably worth a few HP, highly recommended by me at least. Again I'm no engine builder, I just know enough to break my own parts and guide my friends in the direction of breaking their parts-Aluminum Squirt

67weimann
    Sounds like I need to pick up that book and do some reading. I'm no engine builder either and I'm sure I'll do my share of breaking my own stuff

VAMI
    i have that piant its red insulating varnish its used on the inside of electric motors (tool crib) is the brand its dark red in color.oil gets on that ,it is really slick.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast