Thread: Alcohol in a lake boat

billet racing 1
    I'm going to break in my blown alcohol motor in my Daytona. Feel I will have more oppurtunities learning this in a boat I can run anywhere, that trying to get some test and tune in the hydro.
    Did not intend to run water through the motor for racing. Will I have to for running longer periods in a lake boat?
    info:
    565 cid Merlin pro race block.
    block filled to the tops of freeze plugs
    1471 SSI blower
    Enderle fuel injection
    Jerry

billet racing 1
    Add, Brodix big duke heads
    Jerry

Fiat48
    Can't think of a thing that has to "Break in."

billet racing 1
    No its me who needs to break in. I need to learn more about tuning and running this motor. In the hydro it leaves me limited times and places I can do it.
    Another reason, is I just toasted the turbo motor I had in the Eliminator. Need something to get me through the summer while I rebuilt/upgrade.
    Jerry

Fiat48
    Well...the boats are such complete different animals I don't think youll learn much about tuning.
    Yes..I would definately run water through it. Being a jet and they pump so much water....and being the block is partial filled.
    With the jet...you probably will not see an rpm range where a high speed will be required. Therefor you'll probably be in bigger return pill sizes than you would be on the hydro.
    You'll want to keep an eye on oil dilution.
    I'd lock the mag and do 34 timing and leave the timing alone.
    Block off the high speed.
    Make a quick 1/2 track pass and see what the rpm is gonna be. Check plugs, etc. Sneak up on it.

djdtpr
    Definatly run water through the motor as it will get hot if you dont. I got rid of the high speed lean out on mine also,didnt make much sense in a jet boat. I am running 32 degrees timing and a #100 pill on mine with a 1471 high helix retro delta port blower running 32% over on 9.5-1 compression. Up till lately had noproblems till i tried to lean on her allitle to much and boom went the burst panel. What class will you race now?

djdtpr
    The blue and white one is mine i have run it at the river for the last couple years on alky and it was a blown gas deal before that.Im afraid i am gonna have to tear it down this winter to freshen it up.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/data/500/aha2.jpg