Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Price?or Sentimental Value Price?

SFV5150
    Having jumped back in the water after a few "dry" years of being out of Boating. I have been looking around to see what Toys are available for the picking. Maybe just a Hull? maybe a complete boat? many choices. But just as I have found in my experience with "Classic" and "Hot Rod" cars, sometimes I look at The Asking price and say "What a bargain!" and on others Ads I have to say eek! "HELL NO".
    Don't get me wrong, most of these boats are jewels of the river, obviously labors of love for thier owners with lots of time&money invested. But I wanted to get your guys opinion since I've been out of the loop. Do you find some folks attach sentimental prices (overpriced) to thier Boats,while some people undervalue thier River Racers just to make quick room for the next toy.
    It's an aspect of buying toys,either Cars,Boats or whatever that fascinates me. I even cut out and collect some Ads I see that are just ridiculous assumptions as to the "true" value of their vehicles. I'm not too concerned about "What bracket race your boat Won in 1998" that makes you raise the price $5000 from base. or "THE SUPER DUPER Big Block supposedly worth $20.000 YOU THINK was built exclusively for your boat". Just give me a realistic street value of what ya got, and then we'll talk. I see it with unique Cars and now with boats.
    One reason I bring this up is, I saw picture of a boat recently from a Customs Show and I just fell in love with this boat. I initially was just curious to find out what kind of boat it was???never imagining I would find this specific boats owner or info. Not only did I find out the make,but I discovered that this very boat, that I put the picture of on my Fridge as "A Dream", was sold 2 weeks ago for only $7000. I was sure this "magazine boat" would be in upwards of $12,000. From the boats description the motor alone was worth almost $7000? I guess one mans junk is another mans gold??
    WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???????
    [ September 13, 2002, 08:07 AM: Message edited by: SFV5150 ]

HavasuDreamin'
    Absolutely, some boats are bargains and some are......."what the hell are you thinking?" While I think you may be correct in your sentimental philosphy.........I also believe that most people finance their boats these days.....well at least the ones over say $15K or $20K and sometimes they pay way too much, so in turn they need to ask way too much because of what they owe.
    I keep an eye on the classifieds all the time. On the internet and the So. Cal. Boat Trader and often see major discrepancies in prices. It gives me a chuckle .......for example to see dozens of clean jet boats for $5,000 - $7,500 and then see some bozo (and you can usually tell by how they word their article) ask $15,000 for the same boat.
    On the other hand, I often fall in love with boats taht I feel are good prices and boats that I dream of all the time. My latest dream boat I found on www.dragboats.com.
    What do you guys think?

1981 Cole TR2 Runner Bottom, Light hull, 510 in Chev, Brodix heads, Arias pistons, Steel crank, Casale, Tandem axle Ellis trailer. NO DISAPPOINTMENTS. 13,000.
    Unfortunately, I am not in a position to buy now. Just got married and don't really want to get divorced. But boy that is sure tempting..........................
    [ September 13, 2002, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

SFV5150
    HavasuDreamin, first of all good call on the boat! I saw that boat come up for sale just a few days ago. I think thats a good deal and about right, For me the Motor set up is perfect, yet yellow is not my color.
    Second of all, I feel your pain, I'm almost in the same boat as you (no pun intended) I'm supposed to get married and The Money could be better spent elsewhere (SO SHE SAYS). I have found that getting her involved and claiming it will be "OUR" boat is working for me.LOL. Then again when she sees what kind of boat I "really" want, I think she's gonna flip!

MikeF
    My sentiments are pretty much the same as HDs.
    I saw this one and wouldn't mind being behind the wheel of it!
    [img]http://www.***boat.net/class/7075466487b.jpg[/img]

SFV5150
    DAMN!!! Thats gotta pull hard!!twin turbos???

HavasuDreamin'
    SFV5150:
    I have found that getting her involved and claiming it will be "OUR" boat is working for me.LOL. Then again when she sees what kind of boat I "really" want, I think she's gonna flip!Yeah, I am going to have a hard time trying to explain how an 18' runner bottom, with a fire breathing monster motor, and only two seats, will pass as a family boat. Perhaps when I retire to the river, she will understand my need for 6:00AM 100mph passes.
    I guess I shouldn't complain, after all I have a 19' Elim Daytona and we just bought a house with a 30' third bay for the boat. Overall, I am doing quite well, but I sure like that boat.......
    Havasu........Dreamin' (about a Cole)........
    Nice Boat MikeF.........is that a GN type??? Looks like a Rayson or similar..........
    [ September 13, 2002, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: HavasuDreamin' ]

MikeF:
    My sentiments are pretty much the same as HDs.
    I saw this one and wouldn't mind being behind the wheel of it!
    [img]http://www.***boat.net/class/7075466487b.jpg[/img]MikeF,
    The RaysonCraft is sweet. I saw it runnin hard at BillyB's Needles trip in May. Nice and quiet. I seem to recall the price being reasonable considering the twin-turbo set-up. Any ideas if it's still for sale?
    ssmike

MikeF
    I saw it in the HB classifieds. It is a GN Raysoncraft. This is the type of boat I'd be looking for if I had a ton of $$$$. It's great looking hull, quick, fast, quiet(er) and probably cant blow over (i.e. safer). All I think I would ever need!
    It's probably still for sale.....someone will snatch this one up! (just not me )

HM
    I am one of those guys that people respond to as "What the hell is that guy thinking?". I have a 72 Mandella with a blown mouse motor and was asking $28K! I did not realistically expect to sell it for that price, as I was trying to keep people from offering $5K for it. And at the same time, if I did not sell it, no big deal as I was not hurting for the money or any other circumstance. My motor is blue printed and dyno'd and just built. I spent $20K on the motor. I spent $5K on a new trailer, $5K on a paint job from Dick Vale, and yada yada yada. So you can see how I might ask a big price, but at the same time, I realize it is a 1972 and that there are a lot of better deals. But, I might someone who had to have it.
    But things change. I am not hurting for the money, but I have another boat project, and I know I will keep spending money on the Mandella unless I just park it and don't use it - not an option as I may as well sell it than to just put it in storage and never use it.
    So here is my story today - I dropped my asking price to $18K (still in the what the hell is that guy thinking catagory) but again, trying to keep the $5K crowd away. If some is interested and has caysh (doesn't have to sell something and you know the story) - I will consider all caysh in hand offers, and someone might be suprised at the deal they can get. If your interested, e-mail me at holymoly@dslextreme.com.
    Here is a couple of pic's:
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Boat001.JPG[/img] [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Boat003.JPG[/img] [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Boat006.JPG[/img] [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/Boat008.JPG[/img]
    [ September 13, 2002, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: HolyMoly ]

superdave013
    I sold this boat less engine for 4,500 bucks. It looked almost new when the guy drove off with it. I know I could have got another grand if I tried harder. I guess I was the guy that was making room for another toy. The one I have now is kinda like the turbo boat above.
    [img]http://free.***boat.net/gallery/Reader_Rides/V-Drives/JPN_back.JPG[/img]
    [ September 13, 2002, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: superdave013 ]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast