Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crower flow?

Moneypitt
    OK, somewhere, or someone, or somehow I was under the impression that the 2.9 Crowers would only flow 1300 CFM. After talking to Pat Hoban I am now curious what the real deal is. I have to agree with him that 2.9 X 8 = a bunch more than 1300 CFM........Anyone have any flow charts? Not the fuel, the air......Ray

fc-pilot
    A BUNCH! Sorry Ray, I could not help myself. I think for many situations the bigger issue would be the heads ability to flow air. The next issue would be the stack length as longer stacks struggle on the top end due to the length of the column of air that has to start and stop moving all the time. But then again, I am just babbling about stuff that you already know so I will shut up now. (If I had any useful info I would share it, but alas I don't).
    Paul

Moneypitt
    A BUNCH! Sorry Ray, I could not help myself. I think for many situations the bigger issue would be the heads ability to flow air. The next issue would be the stack length as longer stacks struggle on the top end due to the length of the column of air that has to start and stop moving all the time. But then again, I am just babbling about stuff that you already know so I will shut up now. (If I had any useful info I would share it, but alas I don't).
    Paul
    Yes Paul, it is a package deal, from the tips of the stacks to the end of the exhaust, and everything in between. But, I think I'm looking for the weak link, if the heads will flow XXX @ .XXX lift, will the Crowers? I'm looking at the TR and Enderle hat and had some WRONG info to work from.......The current set up works with the Crowers. (I think)....But comparing apples to oranges only works if you know exactly how much "juice" each fruit has.....Of course you can't make a screwdriver with apple cider, so in some cases, oranges are better........And, candy apple red is much better than orange peel, so each has it's place..................If we put or minds to it we could have the fastest "fruit wagon" known to man............Ray

GofastRacer
    I'm looking at the TR and Enderle hat and had some WRONG info to work from.......
    What kind of info did you get that was wrong?????.... BTW, Crowers can be made to flow a lot more than out of the box, also with aftermarket heads you'll need to change the stacks!..

Moneypitt
    What kind of info did you get that was wrong?????.... BTW, Crowers can be made to flow a lot more than out of the box, also with aftermarket heads you'll need to change the stacks!..
    The 1300 number!! The stacks are already shortened, some. What is the "out of the box" number? I realize the actual flow depends on what is under them, but my question is about flow capabilities, at what point does the 2.9 stack become the limiting factor?............Ray

GofastRacer
    That is a good question never really went into that, all I know is from the car days I remember a guy with a digger had a 509, took the heads(Dart if I remember right) in along with the injectors and had them worked over and right off the bat the car ran a lot faster than it ever did, there was no restriction there. But actual out of the box flow numbers I couldn't tell ya, could have them flowed though!..

Fiat48
    If anyone had this information it would be Kinsler.
    As far as a tunnel ram hat and a birdcatcher vs the Crower 2.9s.....I already did that moons ago on the altered and when the tuning was done there was no gain in speed or e.t. Motor was the 500 inch motor I ran in PGF.
    We went back to the Crowers in the end.
    PS: Then we put a blower on and there was a performance difference.

GofastRacer
    If anyone had this information it would be Kinsler.
    As far as a tunnel ram hat and a birdcatcher vs the Crower 2.9s.....I already did that moons ago on the altered and when the tuning was done there was no gain in speed or e.t. Motor was the 500 inch motor I ran in PGF.
    We went back to the Crowers in the end.
    PS: Then we put a blower on and there was a performance difference.
    That tells me that both units flowed more air than the engine required if there was no change!..
    Then we put a blower on and there was a performance difference
    Gee, I can't imagine why!..LOL...

Fiat48
    Yeah. Was another one of those things that looked real good on paper and theory.
    I like proving that stuff against the clocks. That's the most fun.
    And I forgot something.
    The Crowers I had were redone by Kinsler and he actually bored them for a larger butterflys. I had also cut my Crowers in 1/2 for better port alignment and get rid of the spacer plates (tall deck). The Crowers were also ported by EPD.
    The tunnel ram was a Victor in which EPD ported and also made the top piece to adapt the birdcatcher as this was before anyone made a top for the Victor and birdcatcher.
    Heads were Dart 360's with max port and flow work by EPD....titanium valves...etc.

GofastRacer
    Yeah. Was another one of those things that looked real good on paper and theory.
    I like proving that stuff against the clocks. That's the most fun.
    And the most efficient!..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast