Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: does my 12 jg take fluid?

boats&bars
    I am new to jets so im not sure does the berkley take any kind of fluid
    if so where? thanks

CVX20Dustin
    Should be two plugs on top of your bowl. I think I filled mine with gear oil.

sleekvino
    you want to use a 90 wt gear oil in the 2 plugs you taake them both out and squirt oil in one hole untill it flows out the other hole.

SmokinLowriderSS
    Yep, 90-wt in the rear bowl bearings. A good red marine bearing grease in the front (thrust) bearing.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    watercooled is the ONLY way to go I have never put oil in my bowl

Sleeper CP
    watercooled is the ONLY way to go I have never put oil in my bowl
    Realy , never ? My AT bowl has a grease fitting in the back and the Legend has two two oil plugs. Do your bearings live along time?
    Sleeper CP

B&B modern bowl bushings (DU type) are laminate and coated with ptfe and can actually run under fairly extreme conditions with out lube or be "water lubed/cooled" like 396 described (requires seal and bowl plug removal) 90 wt gear as decribed by Smokin or any gear oil for that can be used as well and was the original application. AT, Dom and Aggressor are all set up to be "greased" now with a zerk provided in the shaft bowl plug and a snap ring retained shaft seal . We've seen lots of Berks recently "modified" by the installation of a zerk in one side and plug in the opposite. If you consider this you must fill/grease with the plug removed or you could "jack" the bowl shaft seal out in the case of berkeley. Our personal boats run without seals (water) but we also don't deal with a significant amount of sand or silt... Tom

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    B&B modern bowl bushings (DU type) are laminate and coated with ptfe and can actually run under fairly extreme conditions with out lube or be "water lubed/cooled" like 396 described (requires seal and bowl plug removal) 90 wt gear as decribed by Smokin or any gear oil for that can be used as well and was the original application. AT, Dom and Aggressor are all set up to be "greased" now with a zerk provided in the shaft bowl plug and a snap ring retained shaft seal . We've seen lots of Berks recently "modified" by the installation of a zerk in one side and plug in the opposite. If you consider this you must fill/grease with the plug removed or you could "jack" the bowl shaft seal out in the case of berkeley. Our personal boats run without seals (water) but we also don't deal with a significant amount of sand or silt... Tom
    Very good info Tom
    . Our personal boats run without seals (water) but we also don't deal with a significant amount of sand or silt... Tom
    That is the key right there If you boat with alot of sand then I would NOT run a water cooled bowl

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Realy , never ? My AT bowl has a grease fitting in the back and the Legend has two two oil plugs. Do your bearings live along time?
    Sleeper CP
    All of my bowls are done like that and a few of my friends bowls are like that. Bearings look awesome and never had any issues. Old school dominators come like this.....

Sleeper CP
    You can learn something new every day. At the lower Colorado where I go I think all of the sand would chew those bearings up.
    Thanks for the info, guys.
    Sleeper CP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast