Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Horsepower Rumors

pw_Tony
    I'm not sure he claimed that the 13:1 engine ran on 89 octane.The 9.5:1 engine runs on pump gas. Just for reference my old 512 BBF w/FordMotorsport A-460 heads and 10.2:1 comp. made 710 HP at 6,000 and 661 trq. at 5,000. (I know it's a different animal, but just shows what good airflow can do for you with out alot of compression)
    700 HP out of a 468 is 1.5 hp/cu.in. Can you get approx. 350 cfm out of those oval port heads? If you can, his dyno numbers aren't out of the question?
    I'll ask a couple of guy's I know today what they got out of the stompin 470 BBC they built a few years back. I'll get back to ya.
    Sleeper CP
    Maybe if Geoff ported his heads

Sleeper CP
    Sorry for the sidetrack.
    Oh, I've been known to do that. That's fine, just didn't want any confusion.
    Sleeper CP

Sleeper CP
    Maybe if Geoff ported his heads
    I know those were Brodix Alum. heads thay did for the 470 CU. In EngineMaster deal. But, I forget the HP #'s we were looking at but I'll find out today. They made a bunch with a solid mechanical cam.
    Is your friend running a roller cam ? and do you know any more about his combo?
    Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
    I know those were Brodix Alum. heads thay did for the 470 CU. In EngineMaster deal. But, I forget the HP #'s we were looking at but I'll find out today. They made a bunch with a solid mechanical cam.
    Is your friend running a roller cam ? and do you know any more about his combo?
    Sleeper CP
    No idea right now, just stated he dynoed over 700hp with factory oval port heads, lots of porting. And made over 500Rwhp in the truck the motors in:devil:
    Aren't you supposed to be working or something?

Sleeper CP
    No idea right now, just stated he dynoed over 700hp with factory oval port heads, lots of porting. And made over 500Rwhp in the truck the motors in:devil:
    Aren't you supposed to be working or something?
    Now that I've done a little research on the subject I am really interested in his total combo. Cam,intake,cfm's of heads and compression. If you want to see how hard it is to make 700 HP with 470 Cu.in's check out EngineMaters.com and read the info on year number 2 (2003). They were running flat tappet cams and 91 octane, but there were some damn trick engines. Crower's failed on the dyno but we made 621 HP on 7 cylinders. That about matches the 695-700 peak we were seeing on the dyno at the ranch when it was healthly the day before.
    So I'm real interested in his total combo, find out please. Now I'll get back to work.
    Sleeper CP

ck7684
    I heard a rumor of a guy making 1500 on a 396...

motormonkey
    If this is true ,the amount of work in those heads would be amazing. The cam specs would be interesting, considering the low compression and the need for at least .700 lift. The bore choke on the valve at 2.300 and the short turn work needed, plus the head choke. Ive seen tounged square ports make similar #s but not ovals.

pw_Tony
    Here are some motors that are in the 700hp range under 470ci...
    but I wouldnt say they're factory oval port heads...
    http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...3/0404phr_emc/

MikeF
    If this is true ,the amount of work in those heads would be amazing. The cam specs would be interesting, considering the low compression and the need for at least .700 lift. The bore choke on the valve at 2.300 and the short turn work needed, plus the head choke. Ive seen tounged square ports make similar #s but not ovals.
    I ommitted the cam specs on both engines.:devil:
    Tounged square ports work well, but I think because of the intrusion of the rocker stud in the port, not nearly as good (opinion) as the ovals done correctly for a small c.i. BBC. The port is much more uniform.
    Those oval port brodix heads on the enginemasters mills are not your typical "low port" variety. Look carefully. Nice short turn!

pw_Tony
    I ommitted the cam specs on both engines.:devil:
    Tounged square ports work well, but I think because of the intrusion of the rocker stud in the port, not nearly as good (opinion) as the ovals done correctly for a small c.i. BBC. The port is much more uniform.
    Those oval port brodix heads on the enginemasters mills are not your typical "low port" variety. Look carefully. Nice short turn!
    Yes they aren't the typical "low port variety"... but only two of them made over 700hp, one chevy and one dodge, and they aren't limited to heads or compression....
    So I still find it hard to believe a Factory Oval Port head can produce over 700hp if the best builders in the nation can barely break 700hp with aluminum aftermarket heads

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast