Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need HVAC help!

NeverStop
    I have been putting it off, but today I got the results of an isolation test. Condenser is bad :sqeyes: , our coil and furnace are good, but an expansion valve would need to be added to the existing unit as the unit is old. The company that completed the iso test quoted us $3300 to replace the condenser with a 13 seer 22 something condenser, but everyone else I have spoken to is suggesting we replace the whole unit with a 14 seer or higher 4 ton condenser and prices are five to eight grand. I have more companies coming out to provide proposals, but I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks

YeLLowBoaT
    I have been putting it off, but today I got the results of an isolation test. Condenser is bad :sqeyes: , our coil and furnace are good, but an expansion valve would need to be added to the existing unit as the unit is old. The company that completed the iso test quoted us $3300 to replace the condenser with a 13 seer 22 something condenser, but everyone else I have spoken to is suggesting we replace the whole unit with a 14 seer or higher 4 ton condenser and prices are five to eight grand. I have more companies coming out to provide proposals, but I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    keep shoping around... sadly this is the worst time of year to get a A/C unit replaceds. Prices are $$$$ right now and every one has thier phone ringing off the hook.

redneckcharlie
    Replacing half your system is not a smart decision. Is your ac and heat a split system, or a combi unit? From the sounds of it, sounds like a split system. I can't help you with installation, but if you know someone that can, I can get you alot better price on equipment. Depending on the size of the heater, a complete split system, minus the line sets, in the four ton range, runs me about three grand. The heater would be in the 135-145000 btu range. I'm guessing shipping would run you three to four hundred dollars. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of what the cost of equipment is in relation to the whole bid.

Just foreplay
    Replacing half your system is not a smart decision. Is your ac and heat a split system, or a combi unit? From the sounds of it, sounds like a split system. I can't help you with installation, but if you know someone that can, I can get you alot better price on equipment. Depending on the size of the heater, a complete split system, minus the line sets, in the four ton range, runs me about three grand. The heater would be in the 135-145000 btu range. I'm guessing shipping would run you three to four hundred dollars. If nothing else, it will give you an idea of what the cost of equipment is in relation to the whole bid.
    Good advice, replace the unit, you will be $$ ahead.
    Opt for a little more tonnage than you have now, you won't regret it.
    You will even save some $ on you electric bill.

Havasu1986
    Just had a new 13 seer replaced at my house in Havasu for $5700. My neighbor here in Yorba Linda who ownes a HVAC company said it was a good price.

whiteworks
    I am a big fan of Trane equipment. 14 seer is pretty good, but go higher if you can afford it. also test the duct work for leaks "very important". my systems are 15 seer variable speed. the more you spend on equipment now the lower your power bill will be. it is amazing how effeciant a system can be if you spend the money. I put some badass filters in as well, you can run the fan to filter the air in your house. find someone who takes the time to explain to you how high effeciany systems work. when you find the right guy you will know. it might not be the cheapest route but in the long run you will be much happier. I'm not sure if you will get the bang for your buck if you just replace the condenser.

River Lynchmob
    If you are going to install a 13 or 14 SEER system you should replace the whole thing. The system works as a whole and will not achieve a 13 or 14 SEER by just replacing one part of the system. You will see some savings by not nearly as much as if you replaced the whole system. A 4-ton 13 SEER system which is R-22 refrigerant would cost a little under 2 grand for the parts then you need to pay for the labor to install it. Residential guys tend to make up the equipment 50% and charge you in the neighborhood of $85 an hour while paying their guys maybe $20. If you are going to reuse you existing duct work a fair price installed is about $5,000. if you are replacing everything figure about $2,000 per ton.
    One thing about 14 SEER is it uses R-410a refrigerant and you would need to replace you refrigerant lines unless they are hard drawn lines now...chances they are most likely soft copper and due to the higher operating pressures you need to use hard lines.

rrrr
    ^^^^^^^^
    Good advice.
    I just installed a 13 SEER 5 ton system for a friend includig a furnace and coil, it cost $2K for everything including misc parts. It took about 30 man hours, so figure from there....

westair
    If you are going to install a 13 or 14 SEER system you should replace the whole thing. The system works as a whole and will not achieve a 13 or 14 SEER by just replacing one part of the system. You will see some savings by not nearly as much as if you replaced the whole system. A 4-ton 13 SEER system which is R-22 refrigerant would cost a little under 2 grand for the parts then you need to pay for the labor to install it. Residential guys tend to make up the equipment 50% and charge you in the neighborhood of $85 an hour while paying their guys maybe $20. If you are going to reuse you existing duct work a fair price installed is about $5,000. if you are replacing everything figure about $2,000 per ton.
    One thing about 14 SEER is it uses R-410a refrigerant and you would need to replace you refrigerant lines unless they are hard drawn lines now...chances they are most likely soft copper and due to the higher operating pressures you need to use hard lines.
    You can get 14 SEER equip in either R410A or R22.

riverroyal
    wow, a lot of experts out there ...... i'm in san clemente, give me a call or pm me ... i'll try and save you some money ... and "NO" the prices don't change cause it's hot and it's the summer www.rohanandsonsinc.com keyes (d-no)
    just replace it the entire thing.Those prices seem a bit high

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast