Thread: Shasta Houseboat: July 29 - Aug 5

HitIt
    Going on a houseboat trip to Shasta with a bunch of friends from July 29 - Aug 5. Cant freakin wait. Our boat is out of Silverthorn. Been there for a HB trip about 3 years ago and loved it. We are driving up on the 28th and planning to stay in Redding so that we can go shopping on Sunday morning before we pick up the boat.
    Few questions for ya.
    1) Any recommendation on which hotel/motel to stay at in Redding. Looking for cheap but mostly a good, safe parking lot to keep the boats overnight.
    2) Coves. We are planning to stay in 4 or 5 different places during the trip. Any recommendations for favorite coves to stay in?
    3) We are going to go out to eat one night. What are some good mexican or italian places to eat?

bonecrusher36
    There is aplace on the lake that delivers groceries to your boat, I will try to get the number its the only way to go. Tell them how many people and what you are eating each night and they get it together for you and the price was very resonable.
    Jerry
    we will be there same week.

filthyrat
    Places to stay in Redding- There a holiday inn express on Twin View as well as a motel 6 that are the farthest hotels north before City of Shasta Lake and the lake itself. When there are big bass fishing tounaments there will be 50-60 boats filling thier parking lots. Motel 6 is decent motel, not all run down, and you can park near your room, not all hallways like a Hotel is. In town the Best Western and Holiday inn are niced as well.
    If you're leaving Silverthorn you have the choices of what are you want- the Pit, Squaw, or Mcloud. The Sac and main body of the lake arent worth motoring really far for, thats what fast boats are for. From there you have literally dozens of coves to choose from. We have our houseboat up greens creek right now, the key is to not have the sun in your face in the early am, cant sleep off a hangover cooking in the sun. http://www.fs.fed.us/r5/shastatrinit...t-map-2006.pdf
    You can always eat the the Tail of the Whale at Bridge Bay, not super cheap though, but you can leave the boat at the Marina and be back to the Houseboat by dark. In town best Mexican will be Casa Ramos on North Hilltop out by Best Buy. Muy bueno.

Poker Runs West
    Be sure to go to the very back on the left side when coming into Waters Gulch off of the Sacramento arm. Walk up the creek to the pond and waterfall. Pretty cool.
    Chris

Invisible Sun
    Be sure to hit the caverns in the middle of the day to cool down. The inside of the mountain is about a constant 70 deg. They have docks to leave you boat at, but don't bring your dog (if you have one) unless you plan on carrying it through the tour. You get a lot of funny looks when your on that lake with a big boat. I was told numerous times to "go back to Havasu".
    S
    http://images17.fotki.com/v15/photos...jpg?1151991292

Zimm944
    If you are going to shop before heading to the lake you might as well stay somewhere in the Hilltop Rd. area. This will put you near the shopping Cosco, Food 4 less ect.. Casa Ramos is the best Mex, Nelo's for Italian, but if you have not had Jack's steak house you must go. From Silverthorn go up the pit, my fav anyways. Have fun I will be there for the month of Sept and part of Oct, cannt wait.

Rocket-J
    The best place in Redding is Logan's Road House off Cypress exit, east of I-5 near all the other resturants, like Black Angus. You won't be sorry. Al

HitIt
    Thanks for all the recommendations. We will be hitting up Costco and FoodMaxx (formerly Food4Less I think) before we get the boat so we will be staying close to those.
    As for the restaurant, we are looking for somewhere that we can leave the boats at the dock and walk up to eat. Probably be coming home in the dark. Yay GPS

HitIt
    There is aplace on the lake that delivers groceries to your boat, I will try to get the number its the only way to go. Tell them how many people and what you are eating each night and they get it together for you and the price was very resonable.
    Jerry
    we will be there same week.
    Never heard of that service before. Pretty cool. My friends are boke though so Costco, here we come. That should leave more money for gas, which I hear is cheap on the lake

HitIt
    Ended up getting the hotel at the Holiday Inn. Thanks for the advice.