Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Sanger Flat

707-CREW
    Does anyone know how many different hulls sanger made in 1970. I have a 1970 sanger flat and I am putting a 1000hp blown 540 in it. It is not a bubble deck. I would like race it in the lower ihba classes mabe ME or PE
    but Just about every flat I see is the t-deck. Can I still be competitive or should I just keep it to the lake....Thanks for any info...

Cole'd Beer
    I Have A 70 Sanger True Flat, And These Boats Are Not Made To Compete With The Speed Of A Runner Bottom (t Deck ). You Are Better Of Racing It As A River Racer. But The Boat Will Still Haul Ass. That Much Power Is A Little To Much For That Boat. If You Put That In A Runner Bottom You Would Have A Very Fast Boat.

adjones419
    First of all, there's a huge difference between ME and PE. Either way, if it's a true flat, keep that powerplant out of it...unless you want to get wet or worse. I've never seen an old bubbledeck true flat running anything faster than River Racer. It will make a great lake boat, but if you're wanting to go fast in a flatbottom, step up to a T-deck runnerbottom.

Damn....Too many youngsters around here. Nobody remembers the true flats that ran in BFF, BAF etc? Men like Ray Casalli, Tom Black and many more who's names escape me now. They ran flats because runner bottoms had not yet been invented.

adjones419
    Damn....Too many youngsters around here. Nobody remembers the true flats that ran in BFF, BAF etc? Men like Ray Casalli, Tom Black and many more who's names escape me now. They ran flats because runner bottoms had not yet been invented.
    Yeah but how many of them got wet? Not saying that it can't be done. Anything can be done...but can it be done safely?
    Tom Black is a hero of mine, sure wish he were still around.

707-CREW
    It is a true flat...and not a bubble deck. I know all of the previous owners so I kinda want to hang onto it. It only has a 396 and hits about 80 tops. I am setting it up for more of the drag look. 80mph is not enough for me....Mabe I will just run it at the lake for fun....Tom black sold me the prop for the boat a long time ago and he told me the boat would take whatever I could put in it....That was a long time ago though. You guys don't think the hull will handle the power??? What do you mean by getting wet?

b's sanger
    It is a true flat...and not a bubble deck. I know all of the previous owners so I kinda want to hang onto it. It only has a 396 and hits about 80 tops. I am setting it up for more of the drag look. 80mph is not enough for me....Mabe I will just run it at the lake for fun....Tom black sold me the prop for the boat a long time ago and he told me the boat would take whatever I could put in it....That was a long time ago though. You guys don't think the hull will handle the power??? What do you mean by getting wet?
    That would be a water-driver interface occurance.........

707-CREW
    Thanks B's sanger....that's what i figured....Here are a few shots of my project. The wing is not set up, it's just sitting there. Still has the old 396 in it also. Pulling that out this weekend...I got all new cav. stuff from phil at bergerons....Great guy to deal with...

adjones419
    That would be a water-driver interface occurance.........
    Yeah like when the boat gets out of shape and tosses your ass out, you get wet.

adjones419
    You can do what you want, and all I can give you is my opinion. If it were me, I wouldn't put 1,000 horsepower in an old Sanger true flat and try to make a serious race boat out of it. I would, however, have fun with it at the lake!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast