Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1970 Sanger Flat

DetroitJim
    I did pretty much what you are attempting and I'm glad I lived through it. I had a '75 Sanger 4 seater true flat. Started throwing big power at it, it hopped like crazy and would not run with the nose high. I raced it with a blown 540 making a good 800 hp, had to keep the plate locked down 2 notches all the way to the finish line. It went through the lights at 104 mph with the nose buried and the tail end slewing around like a drunk hooker. Take a look at the bottom shape, you will see that there is no rocker at all. The outboard chines may even have a slight hook. This is all bad. My Cole TR2 has a significant rocker all the way across, and it runs much more free. Even so, I keep my big power setup in my hydro. Not saying you can't do this, just don't expect to sail along like a well set up Canyon or Cole.
    DJ

adjones419
    I did pretty much what you are attempting and I'm glad I lived through it.
    I'd take that to heart coming from someone who tried big HP in a true flat.

old flat
    I'll weigh in here. There are guys on the board that know a bunch more than I do. My $.02 is that if you want to race and the hull is sound, then race in RR or maybe S/E, but that is where you should stop. The Sanger is my favorite hull, but in the words of Jet Boat Guru, "They do a lot of 'sangering' or porposing under big power" I think he knows what he's talking about. Good power, good prop, good set-up, or proper rigging the porposing can be minimized, so, as stated, you will have a really good 'lake hot-rod' and a fun race boat, in the lower classes. Like the other guys said 1000HP is too much! If you are serious about racing, then you need to spend some time in the entry level brackets, to learn the ropes, after you are there for a while, then get a Canyon, or a TR2, and add your 1000HP and climb into the sandbox with the big kids.
    STEVE

DetroitJim
    I should also say that my Sanger only ran 11.0 at 104 even with that much power. I suppose 10's were doable but no way 9's.
    Adam, I'm hoping to make it to the Litchfield race. It sounds like a nice setup. I'll look for you there.
    Jim Bracewell
    PE 486
    Kurtis 501 "Gone Wild"

adjones419
    I'll weigh in here. There are guys on the board that know a bunch more than I do. My $.02 is that if you want to race and the hull is sound, then race in RR or maybe S/E, but that is where you should stop. The Sanger is my favorite hull, but in the words of Jet Boat Guru, "They do a lot of 'sangering' or porposing under big power" I think he knows what he's talking about. Good power, good prop, good set-up, or proper rigging the porposing can be minimized, so, as stated, you will have a really good 'lake hot-rod' and a fun race boat, in the lower classes. Like the other guys said 1000HP is too much! If you are serious about racing, then you need to spend some time in the entry level brackets, to learn the ropes, after you are there for a while, then get a Canyon, or a TR2, and add your 1000HP and climb into the sandbox with the big kids.
    STEVE
    Well said, Steve.

adjones419
    Jim, we're all looking forward to the Litchfield race...we're just glad the club (SLDBA) decided to come back.
    You better stop by and hang out with us. We're going to have a cook-out Saturday night for some local friends, family, and racers. I'll be pitted with Eric & Steve Pigg (PE #507 "The Makin' Bacon Express"). Sure hope to see you there!

FLYTE RISK
    I agree with 058, those boats were ran with lots of power way back when. Furthermore Don Corbitt pinstriper girls husband is running a hondo sprint basically a true flat no runner and he has that thing running low low 9's @ 115 or something. Furthermore Bobbo 541 ran a old Hondo in I think the M/E class for years with no problem either. And races are not won on m.p.h I thought they were won on E.T.

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    I agree with 058, those boats were ran with lots of power way back when. Furthermore Don Corbitt pinstriper girls husband is running a hondo sprint basically a true flat no runner and he has that thing running low low 9's @ 115 or something. Furthermore Bobbo 541 ran a old Hondo in I think the M/E class for years with no problem either. And races are not won on m.p.h I thought they were won on E.T.
    There's a big difference between a Hondo sprint and a true flat sanger. I have a sprint and I grew up with the sanger.
    The sprint has dropped chines, 4 strakes and a ton of rocker, the sanger has none of that.
    The Hondo sprint hull has been proven above 140. Those old Sangers can be very unpredictable. I'm going to guess 8 out of 10 older sangers I've put on video were squirrly, and thats with a variety of powerplants.
    Yes, people have been able to fine tune them to work but in the end they were all passed on in favor of the more efficient, faster and more predictable runnerbottoms.
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...%20ads%203.jpg
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...ve_ads_007.jpg
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...ve_ads_028.jpg

V-DRIVE VIDEO
    2 examples of straight deck sangers with considerable power (on smooth water). These pics are at speed, not launching...
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...ld_sangers.jpg
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...angers_001.jpg

FLYTE RISK
    2 examples of straight deck sangers with considerable power (on smooth water). These pics are at speed, not launching...
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...ld_sangers.jpg
    http://www.v-drivevideo.com/jerrysga...angers_001.jpg
    Jerry I agree however a Sprint is no runner bottom! My dad has a bunch of 8mm and super 8mm film when he raced in the 60's and 70's with several footage of Larry Schwabenland driving his bff Sanger and it does not porpoise at all,it is crazy to me those guys driving those boats that fast but they did. And according to my old man the first runner bottoms were called sleds A D&H sled and they were outlawed for awhile. I have no idea what they looked like but one could only imagine.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast