Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat took a dump on me!

tittyman
    Coming back to the ramp I picked up a little bit of mil-foil in the intake. Boat runs fine up to about 2500 rpm before it cavitates. Figured I would just take it easy to the ramp. Shortly after that boat started running poorly and then just stopped. Tried to restart, it would barely run and then stop. Sometimes it would barely turn over and would not start. I have a BBC, Holley Blue fuel pump, Vertex Mag. After waiting a couple of minutes it would start very hard, barely turn over and when I just had the key on the fuel pump would run slightly if at all. Got towed back to the ramp, got the boat home, started right up, fuel pump runs strong with just the key on. Put a battery charger on and it only needed 4-6 amps. Battery was not dead.
    Is that a possible vapor lock or some other problem..mag, fuel pump..thanks

502 JET
    Check all your electrical connections, dirty cables/bad ground.
    Did you clear the weeds out of the pump?

tittyman
    After I got home there was just a small amount hanging under the grate..just enough to mess up a nince clean flow..nothing inside the pump itself..so your think electrical..

Cas
    Coming back to the ramp I picked up a little bit of mil-foil in the intake. Boat runs fine up to about 2500 rpm before it cavitates. Figured I would just take it easy to the ramp. Shortly after that boat started running poorly and then just stopped.
    did you keep an eye on the temp gauge? it's possible it overheated in a big way by something blocking the water line. Once it cooled off, it all worked well again.

tittyman
    Temp was around 140 and oil pressure was strong before this happened.

502 JET
    After I got home there was just a small amount hanging under the grate..just enough to mess up a nince clean flow..nothing inside the pump itself..so your think electrical..
    I doubt vapor lock with the electric pump.
    When you say it was hard cranking and the pump was running slow it sounds like an electrical problem. You should hydrometer test your battery if you can remove the tops and load test it.
    Did your distributor move and change your timing.
    All the cranking maybe you ran the battery down and after sitting it came back up.

tittyman
    I have a Vertex mag..not a dist. Nothing was moved or changed..you think battery even though it hardly took a charge when I got home..

502 JET
    The battery could be the problem there could be an internal short. Check all your electrical connections and grounds. Start eliminating possibilities and you will find the culprit.
    I have seen everything look good and you pull on a battery cable and it pulls out of the cable end or they get corroded inside and you wont see it. They can cause intermittent problems like your describing. If you cant duplicate the condition go back out and run it.

78sanger
    last year my boat was doing the same thing. it was running horrible and very hard to crank over and keep running. turns out i had a small crack in one of the spark plug wires. im not saying this is your problem, but what i am saying is that 9 out of 10 its usually something small and easily fixable. its normally more annoying than anything.

tittyman
    Checked everthing today..tomorrow going to pull the alt. and battery out and have them checked..it's a new battery with 1000 cca..alt. is old though. The worst thing about this is I have a nice Picklefork Hydro with a nice motor and then you have to be towed back to the ramp by some jet ski guy! Hope its the alt. and makes things simple..
    Question, if you have a mag, shouldn't your volt meter still show about 14 volts when all is good and things are charging no matter what? My volt meter never shows more than 12 volts at any time..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast