Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Tahiti will not get the best of me!

TahitiTiger
    About 2 weeks ago my 455 added a quart of lake to its oil capacity. To say the least I was quite upset, especially since it was MY fault. I over pressured the engine.
    Well it will not get the best of me! I ordered my gaskets today, and got my block back from the machine shop. As per the machine shop the engine shows minimal wear, and to put it back together (14 hours on engine).
    The sad part though, I have these waiting to go on
    http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e3...lvr/HEADER.jpg
    but this month is crappy for money I have to pay insurance on house, both cars, and the boat this month :cry: So the water logs may end up going back on .
    Now the important question! Can I set up my water pressure valve using air?
    This is my water valve the SC100
    http://www.rexmar.com/images/page184.jpg I would like to set up my pressure valve before my next trip. Also can I accurately test my water pressure gauge using air?
    Thanks
    TT

76Tahiti
    Dang, I want a set of those for my tahiti!
    Sorry, I don't have any advice for you, I know the money crunch this summer too; rebuilt the motor last year, doing the pump in the near future, and need to replace gauges as well.
    Where'd you order the headders from?

tahitijet
    where are you located in cen cal? that valve should have numbers on the top. turn it till the number is flush with the base and it's set.. it's going to be hard to pinpoint the exact opening psi of the valve with air but you could rig your gauge and valve up to your garden hose and set it that way.

TahitiTiger
    Where'd you order the headders from?
    I found the headers on Craigslist came with 4" SS tips too.
    As for me I live in the Salinas Valley.

Jetaholic
    No you cannot use air to set the pressure. Reason being is that air is a gas while water is a liquid. Air can be compressed, but a liquid cannot be. They act completely different from each other when under pressure.
    What I would do is install a water pressure gauge upstream of the valve, and back the boat into the water but leave it on the trailer. Rev the motor up until you get about 15 psi of pressure, and then adjust the valve until water just starts coming out of the valve's overboard dump.

Moneypitt
    Gee, how in the world did jetboats run for 35-40 years without pressure regulators???....If you have a weak gasket it will still leak, even with the regulator. I see you have had some work done. Chances are the new gaskets, properly installed, would work just fine, without the regulator......MP

TahitiTiger, I saw in your previous thread, that you found a blown intake gasket? What intake manifold are you running and which intake gasket did it have under it? What gaskets did you replace it with?
    I agree with Moneypitt, most of these old jetboats did just fine without regulators, especially in stock or reasonably-stock form.
    When setting the regulator, you are better off doing it out away from the dock. You will want to check pressure at idle, part-throttle and wide open throttle, and set it accordingly.

pw_Tony
    Before I had a regulator I could not keep water out of my oil...
    Thought it was the head gaskets and replaced those... and still got water.
    After I got my regulator I ran the thing to heat the water out of the oil and has been fine since, I didn't have to replace any of my gaskets.

Before I had a regulator I could not keep water out of my oil...
    Thought it was the head gaskets and replaced those... and still got water.
    After I got my regulator I ran the thing to heat the water out of the oil and has been fine since, I didn't have to replace any of my gaskets.
    You haven't fixed the real problem, then. It's still lurking and waiting....
    For the record, I'm an auto tech with 30 years experience. Been running jets since the early 80's. Neither myself, nor my friends, ever ran regulators, and none ever milkshaked the oil, EXCEPT me when I used a "turkey tray" intake gasket on my Olds. It corroded. Using composition style gaskets solved the problem. It takes a lot more than 15 psi to blow a headgasket.

pw_Tony
    You haven't fixed the real problem, then. It's still lurking and waiting....
    For the record, I'm an auto tech with 30 years experience. Been running jets since the early 80's. Neither myself, nor my friends, ever ran regulators, and none ever milkshaked the oil, EXCEPT me when I used a "turkey tray" intake gasket on my Olds. It corroded. Using composition style gaskets solved the problem. It takes a lot more than 15 psi to blow a headgasket.
    I'm no expert or anything but I was told that alot of Jet Pumps can put out over 100psi of water pressure. Are gaskets supposed to be able to withstand that if it's true

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast