Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quagga Mussels and Havasu

gramps
    Posted: Thursday, Jul 5th, 2007
    Lake Powell Chronicle
    PAGE — A boat infested with quagga mussels was decontaminated Friday at Wahweap Marina. The boat arrived at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area from Lake Havasu, where it had been moored for more than six months.
    National Park Service staff at the Wahweap entrance station directed the boat to the decontamination station at the marina, since it had recently come from a quagga mussel-infested lake. That is where Aramark employees, while decontaminating the boat, discovered quagga mussels on the boatÂ’s prop, outdrive and underside. The visitor was unaware that he had quagga mussels attached to his boat, according to an NPS press release. AramarkÂ’s staff thoroughly decontaminated the boat before it was allowed to launch.
    “As we move into the busy Fourth of July holiday, it is critical that our visitors are aware of how to prevent spreading quagga mussels and infesting Lake Powell,” said Glen Canyon National Recreation Area superintendent Kitty Roberts in the release.

Singleton
    After 4 days of staying at the Nautical this past weekend, I had those things all over my lower unit. Cleaning them off sucked.

gramps
    After 4 days of staying at the Nautical this past weekend, I had those things all over my lower unit. Cleaning them off sucked.
    Did you do it yourself or did the check station do it?

pw_Tony
    Damn you Quagga muscles....DAMN YOU!!!!

lewiville
    holly shit bird batman!!! why didnt you take it out?

RitcheyRch
    Am guessing the problem is getting worse. Didnt have any issues when we were there a few months back.

Singleton
    Did you do it yourself or did the check station do it?
    Simple Green and then a high pressure wash off at my storage and all was gone.

NdaWind
    Strange they would found them unless he told them he knew he had them. When we arrived at the ranger station at wawheep last May we were all prepared for some inconviences due to all the flyers we were getting. But NO, ranger just said "where you been boating last 30 days" I said no where and he gave me a "MUSSEL FREE" sticker to put on my windshield. Didn't even look at the boat.

gramps
    Strange they would found them unless he told them he knew he had them. When we arrived at the ranger station at wawheep last May we were all prepared for some inconviences due to all the flyers we were getting. But NO, ranger just said "where you been boating last 30 days" I said no where and he gave me a "MUSSEL FREE" sticker to put on my windshield. Didn't even look at the boat.
    I think things have changed since last May. They are trying pretty damm hard to keep the bastards out of Powell. I sure hope they do it.

squirt'nmyload
    he didn't know that he had them and when he was asked where he'd been he told them havasu, hense the inspection....ya think

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast