Thread: Help replacing shift cable bellows

curtis73
    86 Alpha MR. Shift cable bellows ripped, darn it. I'd just call someone but I don't have a phone on the lake where I'm staying. I just get internet when I come into town.
    I ordered the bellows, bellows adhesive, and an outdrive gasket kit.
    -is that all I need?
    -any tips on replacing it?
    -should I use anything on the outdrive gaskets, or just install dry? Some come with little red silicone seal lines already in the gasket, others don't.
    -do i have to remove the little yoke on the end of the cable, or can I stretch the bellows over it. If I have to remove it, how does one remove it?

watergun4u
    It's not to hard to do, just take the shift cable loose from the shift linkeage on the motor,take the cable end that you disconect from the motor,and remove the stainless rod from the cable, you will need to then turn your drive to the left and loosen the hose clamps holding the old bellows,Then once you have remove that you can pull the cable through the back, making sure not to bend it to tight! after you do that then remove the old bellows from the cable and Install the new one, once you have the new one one, be sure to push it all the way to the gimbal so you have room to push the cable back through the back ,Once that is done, then leave your drive turned to the left and reinstall the bellows to the housing, again once that is done turn the drive stright and make sure the cable is stright also,before you slide the small end of the bellows down the cable,you want the bellows to be about the same lenght installed as it was in the package, then recrimp the end ring on the small end,,,, sounds harder then it is!!! after you are done with that, you can reassemble the shift cable, and reinstall it, and your setting should not have changed!

DelawareDave
    Damn watergun- they musta changed the design from the last time I changed one of them! :jawdrop:
    Do like watergun says, except you got to pull the drive. Then you got to have a special extra deep socket, 9/16", to remove the cable from the bell housing. Deep 6 point socket, 2" extension, with a nut welded on to turn it with. You don't want to break off the plastic tube that sticks out of the cable. It is a guide and is required.
    Now you can change the bellows.
    http://www.***boat.com/forums/attach...9&d=1183771279

DelawareDave
    WG- I re-read your instructions. I never tried it your way. Might kink the cable if you aren't careful. There's not a lot of room.

tbanzer
    I use a wire tie vs the crimp on steel sleeve for the small end of the shift bellows. Learned this after over crimping and had a small leak so I had to do it over again on a customers boat.

watergun4u
    not sure what you mean about changing the desigin, that is the best way to do it with out having to replacing the drive gaskets and all!, done it that way for years!, and also have dont it your way, but only to change out the cable!!!!!!! no need to pull the drive to change the bellows!!!

jets4me
    i am having the same problem i cant get the rod off the cable end does it disconect from the end or just the black thing at the come off and thats it

jets4me
    got my shift cable out to littil set screws at the in of the cable losen them pull thr rod off and pull the cable out the back very easy thanks for all the help