Thread: Bad Bowl??

wmitchell
    What are the signs and symptoms of a poorly flowing bowl, what would you notice from a performance standpoint? I freshened up my pump when I put in my new engine and the bowl looked bad, earlier I had misjudged where to drill for my prime a jet and grooved one of the vanes, I cleaned it up and repaired it but there were some nicks from rocks on the othere vanes as well I almost just got a new bowl but thought I'd try cleaning this one up first as I had nothing to loose. I also put in a new A impeller and and bowl bearings and seal the front bearings were only a year old. the pump is very tight and efficient, but I feel like I'm leaving alot on the table(maybe I jacked up my bowl). I can go 30mph at 2800rpm and gps's 64.6mph at 5200rpm in my carrera which is pretty much a heavy slug of a cruiser but I am 500rpm shy of my peak hp numbers and according to the charts am not making much power. The very first 30 min on the water the engine pulled 5600rpms at wot but the pump cavitated a bit on a full throttle take off, then after a brief pit stop no cavitation and will only pull 5200rpm, I was thinking maybe my repair broke out in the bowl or all my smoothing with the die grinder made it worse. I have checked and rechecked the engine and it is running very well. My original dyno numbers at 5200 are 588tq and 582hp(that jives better with the 5600rpm early on) and I realize things are always different on the water but if you were me ...what would you change first, bowl or start cutting down the impeller to get the rpms's up or keep trying to get more out of the engine which has about 30 hrs on it now with 0 problems. Goal is to hit 70mph this year just not sure where to go from here.

boats&bars
    Sounds like a trip to GS marine in Corona.... Talk To Greg Shoemaker