Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camshaft advice

thatguy
    OK Guru's,
    19' Miller jet, fresh .030 454 BBC.
    I built this with a comp 284 extreme hyd. cam. Floated valves and bent an intake. I built it w/ HV oil pump.
    10:1 KB pistons
    Brodix BB1 280cc runners, 119cc chambers, TR, 2 660's. Am switching to the 750's you guys recommended. AND am going solid. Roller is out of the question, $$$.
    This is the cam I am leaning towards, any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!!
    Comp. #11-677-4, solid
    Gross lift w/ .016 lash = .568 int., .578 Ex.
    Dur. @ .015= 274 Int., 280 ex.
    Dur. @ .050= 236 Int., 242 ex.
    lobe sep. 110
    These specs are very close to the Hyd. I have in it, never got it on the water so still don't know how it performes. Am also freshening springs and suspect bad or weak spring led to this on the trailer, even though they were new.
    Tommy
    Oh, B imp. in a one piece bowl.

QuickJet
    Isky Z-89 solid flat tappet. Put it in straight up.
    Did you aready get rid of the 660's? I had a set on my jet and V-drive and they worked great.

obnoxious001
    These specs are very close to the Hyd. I have in it, never got it on the water so still don't know how it performes. Am also freshening springs and suspect bad or weak spring led to this on the trailer, even though they were new.
    Tommy
    So you are saying you revved a freshly rebuilt engine that hard on the trailer with no load?

thatguy
    I know thats what it sounds like, but it never saw anything over 4K steady for a couple seconds, just to check total advance. (drive coupler not attached) It seemed like it fell off over that right away. I suspect timing events are all wrong, going to break out the degree wheel before I take it apart. it just seemed very strange, maybe the tach is not accurate. I will post what I find. I have built alot of performance engines and have never had one act like this. I have seen comp lifters pump up easily on other occasions, even though I know they are supposed to be the same.
    Tommy
    Not to wory though, I WILL get it straightned out!!

bajarunner
    OK Guru's,
    19' Miller jet, fresh .030 454 BBC.
    I built this with a comp 284 extreme hyd. cam. Floated valves and bent an intake. I built it w/ HV oil pump.
    10:1 KB pistons
    Brodix BB1 280cc runners, 119cc chambers, TR, 2 660's. Am switching to the 750's you guys recommended. AND am going solid. Roller is out of the question, $$$.
    This is the cam I am leaning towards, any advice or comments are greatly appreciated!!
    Comp. #11-677-4, solid
    Gross lift w/ .016 lash = .568 int., .578 Ex.
    Dur. @ .015= 274 Int., 280 ex.
    Dur. @ .050= 236 Int., 242 ex.
    lobe sep. 110
    Tommy
    Oh, B imp. in a one piece bowl.
    There's more to this than your letting out of the bag, or may be aware of. What was your valve to piston clearance? If it was checked was it checked properly? Or was this just a case of the valve to guide clearance being to tight and the valve seizing in the open position which is normally where it locks up of course. I can't give you cam advise when it sounds like there is more to this, valves don't just hit the pistons and bend even if you over rev the engine and float them a little unless it's a very long duration cam with lots of valve overlap and tight combustion space, you will always have a little room for that oopps moment. Then again maybe the throttle stuck wide open? You had not yet made it to the water so I'm not sure what happened to your engine. Can you ad more info?

VAMI
    First mock up the head ,usally KB's int valve relief wont clear a 2.250 valve the depth is usally ok but the pocket diameter is to small and the valve will hit ,might have to fly cut those pistons.Brodix is claiming those heads flow to .700.I'd go a little bigger on the cam 240-250 .650 lift

thatguy
    Heads will be off tomorrow, will know then.

bajarunner
    After all is fixed I would go with a Engle HL-25/26. It's a solid flat tappet and the specs are as follows. Also I have already build your combo with this cam and a little different cylinder head. The engine also went into a 19' Miller, running a "B" impeller with a Berk pump. I promise you will not be disapointed with this cam.
    Engle HL-25/26
    Adv Int Duration = 286*
    Int duration @ .050 = 242*
    Int cam lift = .330"
    Int valve lift = .560"
    Adv Exh Duration = 292*
    Exh duration @ .050 = 252*
    Exh lift @ cam = .342"
    Exh lift @ valve = .580
    Lobe center = 110*

Warp Speed
    Sounds like the small radial clearance of those pistons is what may have bit you. You'll know soon enough.
    The Comp 11-604-5 appears to be a good "Shelf" cam for your combo.
    I'd install it at 105-106 ICL, and run .020 / .022 lash. Should work real well. A little more rocker arm wouldn't hurt neither!
    Good Luck

thatguy
    Well,
    Got it apart, no bent valves. 4 cam lobes and lifters wasted. Big time wasted. I have never lost a cam at breakin to my knowledge. I am at a loss. I left inner springs out. used cam lube just like always. I did not use engine oil additive. Got new cam today and will be looking at everything very closely. Will also be going Rotella AND EOA this time.
    It seemed like a bent valve because it was building compression on exaust stroke, then releasing it through intake opening. Popping through carb sporatically.
    oh well, try again.
    Tommy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast