Thread: paint

marty722
    I'm doing a project boat and in the pic you can see the outline is orange. What would be involved in painting the orange a different color like yellow. How hard would this be and what would I have to do to prep for it. Any info on this would be great. I want to redo the seats but want to wait until I figure out if I'm going to change the color. Thanks

wsuwrhr
    I would post this in the how-to section directed at Billy B. I am sure he would be more than happy to help you out.
    Brian

marty722
    I would post this in the how-to section directed at Billy B. I am sure he would be more than happy to help you out.
    Brian I always try to post in there but it never gets posted. Twice I tried and I have never seen it in there. Whats up with that???? Thats why I tried this section... Thanks

pw_Tony
    Depends, is it Gel Or Paint?

marty722
    its Gel right now but if I redo the striping it will end up being paint as Gel is to much... Just want to get a idea as far as is it really worth it.... Thanks

pw_Tony
    Well paint over Gel Sometimes doesn't work out too hot.. but it is possible.
    If you were just to do another color you would have a nice edge on that new color, unless the rest of the boat was detrimmed and wet sanded down with a heavy grit, and recleared the whole boat.
    But if you were to do that might was well repaint the whole boat, but some guys have had bad experiences doing that, lifting paint and cracking and all.
    Just leave it I would say, or maybe get someone to do a painted pin stripe on the border of the color to jazz it up a bit and get in a new color

YeLLowBoaT
    If you use the right products and do the prep right every thing will be fine... if not...
    Every car/ airplane/ bike ( my boat will be the 1st complete boat I have ever painted... I have done strips in the past) The actaul painting time was between 1/ 100th and 1/ 1000th of the time actaully working on it. Hell last 2 cars I did I spent more time mixing paint/ clear then I did actaully painting them.

victorfb
    like any other re-paint, you would have to do all the basics. sand the area wanted to be painted with some 400 grit. mask off the lines and spray a good primer. without the primer you will never get the yellow to mask the orange anyhow, not to mention adhesion ploblems. unfortunatly the build up of primer, paint, and possibly clear coat will definatly leave a noticable ridge. that said, trying to spray the least amount just to cover is key, especially toward the edges. useing a single stage paint from a good manufacturer may help. yellows are not easy. even with gel coat a yellow is very difficult to cover a differant color, especially a soft/light yellow. i would prefer a 2 stage color as you can load the clear heavier to help give it more protection from scratching. just be careful when color sanding the edges not to cut into the yellow and expose the primer or even the orange beneath. buff to a shine and your good to go.