Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: truck buyer backs out... opinions on his deposit?

Sherpa
    so I've got my mom and dad's pickup listed for sale....
    A guy comes and takes a look, drives it, likes it, agrees on a price, and since
    he's by himself, (can't take it home right then) gives me a deposit; 500 bucks
    and I'll drive it to his house tuesday....
    he calls last night whining about his girlfreind is pissed at him, and needs to
    back out. we discuss, and I tell him I need a bit of compensation for the
    hassle... I'm thinking 100 bucks, he thinks 50 bucks. my work partner thinks
    screw him completely and make him follow thru...
    so I'm curious about the board's thoughts.......
    --Sherpa

fundeck24
    I buy all my cars used from private parties. The deposit is non refundable. Did you give him a receipt that had that verbage in it?

DSW
    Thats why deposits are a bad idea. Bring Cash or go home. I would give him his money back. Hassle is part of selling things these days.

sellsman11
    A deposit takes the truck off of the market. It means it is SOLD unless other agreements are made ahead of time. Tell him to find a new girlfriend and come get his truck!!!!

HocusPocus
    you got the cash.. if you feel keeping $100 is fair, then only give him $400 back, if he doesn't like it then keep it all. maybe this will teach him a lesson the next time he tries this.

SummerBreeze
    Looks like we might get this in "Judge Judy" Court Room

hoolign
    From the time he gave you his deposit until he backed out, did you turn down any other buyers? If so keep 50%! If not, you weren't out anything anyways and refund his cash. My .02

Xlration Marine
    I was selling my boat, guy comes over and said, "I'll buy it". Leaves me a $200.00 deposite. Calls me back 2 days latter and said he couldn't get the rest of the money. At this point he says to keep the deposite. I didn't want to, and I didn't know were he lived so I kept it. He has $200.00 worth of credit with me if I ever see him again. Sounds like you have a boy for a buyer, and he needs a little help manning up. 100 bucks sounds fair.

Old school Ultra
    I am pretty sure a deposit is non-refundable or else it wouldn't have any meaning..... If were that easy to get it back I wouldn't be so open to just take the deposit and take the item off the market....
    I say if you feel generous give him a few bucks back, Maybe split it in half.
    The question is did you give him a receipt with the deposit and terms of the sale? did he have a certain amount of time to come back and get the truck? Was the deposit non refundable? was it sold as is?
    Good Luck

RitcheyRch
    Agree as others. A deposit means is SOLD and come get it when you get the rest of the money. Only downside if you dont give him the money back now that he being a POS and backing out is that he knows where you live and could retaliate.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast