Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter

koyota93
    What kind of starter do you guys use? I have a 454 BBC and use a Napa starter. They go bad at least once a season, but they do have the 3 year warranty. It is barely able to crank the boat over. Do you guys use some type of hi torque marine one? I have seen some hi-torque ones in Summit, but don't want to invest all that money if its gonna go bad when it gets wet.

Xlration Marine
    I have a 4.0 and some times I have to use a rope and pull start it. I've pull started my old six banger a few times as well. Oh don't put some stupid car parts on that thing. If it catches on fire your Ins. company won't pay off. Check to make sure the battery is putting out the canking amps to turn the starter. And check all of the conections for that white crap. Should be a top mount to keep it away from water.
    Marine parts are sealed to keep water out and sparks in. Don't use auto chiat.

Jetaholic
    I'm running a Hardin Marine mini-starter. They're a gear reduction starter and they work great.

centerhill condor
    powermaster mini high torque.
    beats a rope!

ck7684
    I've never had any luck with NAPA electronics, ESPECIALLY starters. They are JUNK. Everyone I've ever used has never lasted a year, nor has anyone's that I know of. These were all on cars, but same difference if not worse. Try a different brand, it needn't be expensive, just not NAPA...

Most starters (even marine) will fail when subjected to water beyond occasional splash. Marine are ignition protected for spark but not water "proof". I don't know of any starter, automotive or marine that will not fail if submerged.

Xlration Marine
    powermaster mini high torque.
    beats a rope!
    Not if your battery is dead.

76 Bonneville
    Top mount starter is the way to go. I've gotten as much as 8 seasons on one, and when it does go bad just have it rebuilt for around 125.00.

Moneypitt
    Most starters (even marine) will fail when subjected to water beyond occasional splash. Marine are ignition protected for spark but not water "proof". I don't know of any starter, automotive or marine that will not fail if submerged.
    Mike, bone stock GM high torque with PG nose, lots of compression, 37* timing locked out........Sunk the boat way over the starter at the ramp while lauching at Firebird, that water will take the chrome of a trailer ball, but that sucker started.......Opened it up later, wd'd it, cleaned it up and it worked for a few more years.... I have yet to see a "mini" starter worth a damm, unless you value knocking teeth off the ring gear.........A very good, 1000 CCA battery will usually cure starter failures. A weak battery will murder a starter in an afternoon. Everytime a starter drags, cranks slow, it is over heating stuff that doesn't want to be overheated............MP

gr16241
    Top mount Prestolite marine starter is a great choice. Mine has lasted for years with no problems. I have friends that swear by the gear reduction mini starters also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast