Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Performance Question im sure??

Concept1
    Without starting a frenzy here i was wondering if there is an explination why marine performance is so much more expensive then cars?? Is it that boats are usually toys and the performance makers know that so they charge more? Ive been looking into motors, performance add ons and some other stuff for a while now. I just cant believe that a 625 HP Merc, or Ilmor motor is in the 85K range. Add ons arent any better either, I just looked at Raylar kits and its 7K for 100 HP kits and its heads, manifold and cam. I know you can do that to any car for 1K at the most. By the time the Raylar kit is installed with headers its going to be 14K or so. Man im starting to hate performance prices. O.K. im done complaining.....

vee-driven
    Because people will pay!

Cole Trickle
    Without starting a frenzy here i was wondering if there is an explination why marine performance is so much more expensive then cars?? Is it that boats are usually toys and the performance makers know that so they charge more? Ive been looking into motors, performance add ons and some other stuff for a while now. I just cant believe that a 625 HP Merc, or Ilmor motor is in the 85K range. Add ons arent any better either, I just looked at Raylar kits and its 7K for 100 HP kits and its heads, manifold and cam. I know you can do that to any car for 1K at the most. By the time the Raylar kit is installed with headers its going to be 14K or so. Man im starting to hate performance prices. O.K. im done complaining.....
    Yeah the performance compaines pretty much have you by the balls....
    1K is a little cheap for heads and cam unless your talking about a sbc with crappy heads but I hear ya. You would think that 5K might get you the raylar kit with the dana headers.
    I think the key is to enjoy it for what it is.....great 70mph cruiser thats dead reliable. Keep the current boat and then scoop up a 2 seat SVT with a o/b for your hot rod needs

BrendellaJet
    throw a 1k Head, manifold & cam kit on a boat and see how it performs compared to the 7k kit.
    Boat motors are special. They work in a harsh environment. Mass production tolerances that you can get away with in a car will fail in a boat.

Concept1
    Yea Im still trying to scoop up the Trident for my performance needs, shit i should just take the loss on my boat and buy the Trident and forget about it. After i put 20K into my boat to make it go 85 or so its still a waste since Wes's does 93 out of the box with a 550. I still love that boat more then anything.

Cole Trickle
    Yea Im still trying to scoop up the Trident for my performance needs, shit i should just take the loss on my boat and buy the Trident and forget about it. After i put 20K into my boat to make it go 85 or so its still a waste since Wes's does 93 out of the box with a 550. I still love that boat more then anything.
    go for it before someone swoops on the 710 deal
    Sadly I think you paid a little high for your boat so it's never gonna make sence to sell it for a 50K loss. Do what makes you happy but investing more money in a depreciating asset for 15 mph sucks

Concept1
    Yep you are right! Thats what makes it tough. I just cant get myself to sink money into this thing when the Trident has my full attention. I wonder if you can still sell kidneys on ebay!

RiverDave
    85K for an Ilmore? That better be including some bad ass drive, external steering and some other shiznit..
    You can buy a brummet twin turbo motor for less then that!
    RD

Havasu Hangin'
    Marine stuff is low volume compared to cars.
    Low volume means higher margins (if you want to stay in business).

Jyruiz
    Anything that has to do with boats is expensive, even more so for the power in them. It sucks, but they have us by the short hairs. I am just glad I am not into speed, otherwise I would not be able to afford anything else.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast