Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: They're still out there

Got back from Big Bear last Monday night, and dropped off my 12 years old daughter's girl friend at her house on the way home. Pulled up in her driveway just as it was starting to rain, and noticed a water ski sticker in the rear window of her dad's Suburban. I asked her if they had a boat, and she said yes they did but she didn't have a clue to what it was, other than it was old and it use to belong to her Grand-pa. When her dad came to the truck, I asked what they had, he said, in kind of a hurry because of the rain, it was a '65 Rayson Craft with a 427 Ford.
    This girl called tonight to talk to my daughter, and I got her dad on the phone. The boat was his wife's dad's boat new. It's gone through a few uncles but its been theirs for 6 or 7 years now. Still has the original engine, now on it's 3rd rebuild. Oh yeah, it's a wood decker too!!!!
    He did say that they are tiring of it a little because of the rough water at Parker, and his wife doesn't like shifting the boat in reverse. Her sister just got a new Carrera and they really like that kind of boat now. Plus the glass on the deck needs to be re-done and they're not sure about that. And they don't have room in the garage anymore because of the Sea-doos.
    Gonna have to keep an eye on this one.
    He invited me to come over and look at it anytime.
    Might just take him up on it.

superdave013
    You must alot of space for all those projects!
    How is the Spectra comming along?

Superdave,
    No I don't have alot of room. I just sold the 41. So in the garage now has a '28 tudor and my T. The Spectra is up in Big Bear until I'm ready to do somemore work on the hull. I'm still in the gathering parts mode.
    As much as I'd like to have a wooddeck flattie, with 3 kids, it makes more sense to have the 21'. It would be fun to at least look at it (the 65 rayson craft)though. If I brought it home, I would end up having to sleep in it.
    By the way, I just got back from a little swap meet for early ford stuff and I was going to try to hook up with Hottrodder. He said he might show up in his 37. Well, only saw one 37 there so I kinda hung out until the owner came back. I asked the guy if he had a Mandella, he looked at me kinda funny and said that yes, he did indeed have one. He asked why I would ask that. Told him about this site and so on. To make a long story short(it wasn't hottrodder) this guy use to work for Sanger Jack back in the 60's and was friends of Lou Brummett. He said Jacks funeral was kind of a whos-who of the old racing days. The Mandella he has is one that he just recently found and bought the thing to save it from being junked. 17 or 18', he wasn't sure, tandem trailer and v-drive and hardware is there. No seats or motor. 600 bucks. Hell, the Casele is worth that.

superdave013
    The Casale is worth more that that! Shows you how small of a world it is meeting people like that.
    So you have a place in Big Bear. I go up there alot. Inlaws live on Moonridge. I race downhill mountain bikes at Summit. Just another sicko thing I'm into.
    [This message has been edited by superdave013 (edited November 18, 2001).]

Oldrigger, Keep an eye on that Rayson, if you don't want it or don't want to sleep in it [its not as bad as it sounds] I know a few people who would be interested, myself included. One more isn't going to make much difference.

pgf127rt
    If any one is interested, I have a 1976 Hondo flat for sale, it has a 12 deg. casale, w/whirlaway, David Key 460 Ford roller motor all iron, MSD crank trigger ignition,7 box, 3 gal. cool can gas tank, Menkens lockup prop, tandem axle trailer, older multicolor paint,(looks good at 100mph), the hull is a 2" ultrlight P-deck, with all the instruments by autometer, boat will run 11.00 second class with some left over, engine is a single carb (1050 Dominator) any other questions email me @ pgf127rt@hotmail.com.Price is $9000.00 neg.

Surerdave,
    We're in Moonridge too. Near the corner of Elm and Switzreland. We can walk to Snow Summit ot Bear Mountain.
    I'll try to get to this guys place to look at the Mandella, and will take sone digi photos..........

hottrodder
    old rigger: Sorry I missed you. Please see my post in 'the Fever' thread. I saw that '37 Tudor slant back. Tan at the end of the entry road right? A '37 and a Mandella. I bet you thought you had a match. Well again I'm sorry I missed you I don't know what to say.
    Your friends tape does sound like the same as in my little collection. I'm waiting for Stab-n-Steers address to send my first few to copy.

72 superlite
    Hey Oldrigger, I noticed in one of your posts in this topic, that you mentioned Jacks funeral. Was that Jack Davidson of Sanger Boats? My dad knew him. If it was him, when did we lose him? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Rick

72 SL,
    Yeah, the one and only Sanger Jack. He passed away this summer. There was a little blurb about it in one of the recent Hot Boats.
    This is the type of stuff, the history of Sanger boats (or any manufacturer for that matter) that would be great stuff for Hot Boat to do stories on, not just a little note when someone dies. There's tons of history out there that will never be covered because those boat builders are no longer around, so they don't bring in the advertising dollars.
    I understand what sells the magazine. I understand the importance of advertising to the magazine. I understand the value of boat tests and bolt-on items and regattas and awards and so on, to the advertisers, so I doubt that any such coverage would ever come about.
    You might see a story on Howard Boats or Lavey Boats, as an example, because the name is are still around. I doubt you will see a story on Al Lavey or Howard Brown. Too bad.
    Maybe that's one of the good things about this site. If it's something that we want to know more about, or enjoy reading stories about the old V-drives ( or old boats in general) and their builders, then I guess this is it.
    I personaly feel there would be enough interest to justify doing a history lesson type of story in the magazine. I think it would be fun. Plus, when someone sees the name Howard, Lavey, Hallett or countless others, they would know the people that started and built these legendary boats.
    But what the hell do I know.
    OK. Starting to ramble again. Sorry.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast