Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about welding a suction piece

ricktuttle
    Hi guys, I'm a newbie with what is probably a stupid question for most of you, but here goes....
    There is a hairline fracture in topside of my suction housing/piece about two inches up from where it mounts to the intake and it is about two inches long but doesn't go all the way through to where it can be seen on the other side like when you look at it from inside the boat. I noticed it while I was inspecting and replacing loader bolts this winter. Can this be ground out a bit and welded up? If so are there any special instructions I should tell my welder dude?

wet77
    worked on a boat last summer for a guy that had a similiar problem where the name plate on a JF Berk. mounts it cracked across and below the bearing.
    I had a friend of mine weld it up and it seemed to work fine.

wsuwrhr
    Aluminum work hardens with time.
    Your suction may have had a casting flaw that is just now showing itself.
    Aluminum can be repaired pretty easily by welding. The question is, why is it cracked in the first place.
    Keep that in mind.
    Brian

ricktuttle
    I is a very thin hairline crack and it doesn't go all the way through or extend down to the mounting area. As far as what made it crack I don't know, but I did have a loader fail, break loose and fall off the boat completely last summer and that may have contributed in some way, but we really inspected everything after that happened and believe it or not there wasn't much damage at all in the pump housing. There was just a couple of gouges about .020" deep up further in the housing but everything else looked good. I don't know if it makes any difference but this is a Dominator pump. All of this has got me wondering if I should buy a new housing?????????? :cry:

I is a very thin hairline crack and it doesn't go all the way through or extend down to the mounting area. As far as what made it crack I don't know, but I did have a loader fail, break loose and fall off the boat completely last summer and that may have contributed in some way, but we really inspected everything after that happened and believe it or not there wasn't much damage at all in the pump housing. There was just a couple of gouges about .020" deep up further in the housing but everything else looked good. I don't know if it makes any difference but this is a Dominator pump. All of this has got me wondering if I should buy a new housing?????????? :cry:
    Are you sure it's a crack, and just not a crack in the paint? i have had several suction housing stripped down to bare metal, and you would swear that the were cracked. I went as far as to Magnaflux the parts, only to find it's just a color difference in the metal casting. The coloring goes thru to both sides, thats the unsettling visual part. Both my housing were found to be free of defects. Good luck on repairs if needed, the aluminum in the castings are quite dirty, and you will have a lot of junk surfacing while welding, but it does repair easy enough.
    Sleek

wsuwrhr
    Brian is 356 aluminum used in these castings? Aluminum is an interstesting material, some aluminum alloys actualy get get stronger when "strain hardened" or work hardened. And then some are old weak castings. I would wonder as well why it broke to begin with :idea:
    Denis
    Alot of castings are 356, I think it is the most common.
    Brian

ricktuttle
    sleekcrafter, it is on the inside of the suction housing, there is no paint/powdercoat there, it is just bare aluminum, and it is very obviously a crack as it didn't used to be there and it can be felt with the fingernail.

wsuwrhr
    An old trick to stop a crack from coming back, is to drill a hole at both ends of the crack. The crack can't continue on thru the hole.
    my .02
    Brian

ricktuttle
    Should the housing be heated up before welding on or not?

Red Horse
    Heating all depends on the size of weld or repair being made. Aluminum gets rid of heat real well so if the area is large then you need to heat it first. If the area is not too awful deep then you can get away with no filler rod and simply weld the crack. If it is deep (over 1/8) then you might need to gouch it out. Dependant upon the equipment you have. Some TIG machines are not all that powerful. If you have a good 200 amp machine, then just give it hell and it will do fine. Someone else said this as well. CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. Nothing screws up welds worse than junk in the weld.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast