Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about welding a suction piece

ricktuttle
    Thamk you Sir. That is very helpful.

ttmott
    Aluminum when welded looses a large amount of it's original tensile strength. Some alloys can be heat treated after welding like the 6000 and 7000 series to get the mechanicals back but I don't know how the cast aluminum alloys do. It is not uncommon when a rod is thrown through an aluminum block to "window" it or weld it back up. Windowing, when done properly requires the block to be heated to 400 deg F. Windowing is usually only done in non stressed locations. In the case of a pump I would be cautious as there a lot of big stresses that this little casting needs to resist like the complete thrust of the jet, inlet water pressure, rotational vibrations from the shaft and impeller, etc. You loose this casting in the boat and down goes the boat. I guess it is all where the crack is.
    Tom

wsuwrhr
    You loose this casting in the boat and down goes the boat. I guess it is all where the crack is.
    Tom
    My advise in a nutshell.
    Price out a new suction.
    Brian

Squirtin Thunder
    Victorfb did the repair on Roostwears E pump suction housing and it looks real good after a season. You may check with him on how he did it.

victorfb
    roostwears suction housing was cracked at a section were it was outside the boat.(E-pump). so there wasnt too much concern if it leaked. but i wouldnt worry too much since its in the suction housing. when i started cleaning roostwears housing i found a 3/8" hole at the end of the crack. someone had repaired it by useing "bondo", yep BONDO. and it was holding. of course it wouldnt do anything for the crack itself but it didnt leak. so welding it was basically a permanant fix in my mind. after all, it is the suction area. my main concern was more of when the boat is beached and the pump is bouncing on the sand when the wake board boats go by and make surfable waves. but thats another issue all together.

ricktuttle
    Does Dominator still make pumps? If so how can I get a hold of someone to get a price?

American Turbine Man
    American Turbine manufactures the Dominator, in fact this coming June will be the 30th year. Call 800 622 JETS on Monday. ATM

ricktuttle
    I'll be callin' Monday. Thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12