Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: WTF???? 140mph, but it can go 170mph?

HM
    DUCKY - the 12 degree gives lots of tail lift. The lower the degrees, the more nose lift you get. I have a 10 degree and get too much tail lift. Also, ail lift is very easy to achieve with a prop by cupping so that is not an issue.
    Yah, I read that and wondered why that thing made so little HP. I am making 750+ in my blown 350.
    Inboard steering, while that does not make you slow, it makes control at speed very difficult and suicidal at speeds over 80 MPH.
    The boat may have legitimately gone 140+, but not with that set up. He would need a minimum of 1.5 gears (50%) with that prop and RPM to hit 140. Possible, yes, in the 1/4 mile with only 700 something ponies.....hmmmm.
    He is probably running 25% (Yes HB, that means the output will turn 1.25 times for every 1 turn on the input) because it is way quicker with the 700 HP range motor. He might see 120 MPH with that set up - if he was able to get his efficiency (prop slip) down to 10% - which I have no idea if that is possible. But, for that guy to go 140+ with that set up, he would have to have a serious tail wind as the propeller is spinning at ~ 137 MPH - maybe he was going down river?

Fiat48
    HBjet:
    Ok, I know everyone tends to stretch the truth a little when telling someone how fast your boat is, etc. But I was thumbing through the latest Hot Boat mag and in the back (where all the good stuff is) there is a Shovel Nose hydro with a 632ci motor, blown, running some Edlebrock carbs, and according to the owner, it makes 720hp at 7200rpm (remember, my little 496ci makes 732hp at 6300rpm with a tunnel ram on pump gas) He's running it 25% over drive (what does that mean anyways, one rotation of the motor is 1.25 rotations of the prop?) There is no tranny, and he claims to have taken the boat to something like 140-142mph and hasn't ran the boat at WOT yet, but if he does, it's capable of running 170mph.......
    Ok V-Drive guys, is this for real?
    I was thinking, Damn, I'll slap my 496 into a flatty and I would be in the 150 range no problem!
    HBjet Stretch the truth? Nahhh!
    I love these guys who will never run their boat through the lights because they really don't want to know how fast it REALLY goes. I never met a jet boat out at the local lake that didn't go 100 mph. And the best one that cracks me up is " I know you go 135 at the races, and I was 4 boats behind you at the finish...so I figure I'm running about 129, maybe 130."
    But it's all in fun. I don't think he can go 170 nor do I think you'd run 150 in a flat. But you'd probably have more fun!

bigkatboat
    Hey guys! put your boats in "the" magazine and lets see how fast they go. Only rule is, you can not buy any advertisment space ($$$$$) HA HA HA!

Sangster
    OK...113mph w/427ci.BBC
    [img]http://www.***boat.net/hbcove/38/1/03.jpg[/img]
    [img]http://www.***boat.net/hbcove/38/1/06.jpg[/img]
    [ August 26, 2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

superdave013
    haha, I was waiting for someone to call BS on this one.
    Maybe he will speek up for himself. He's posted on the hot boat forums before. I don't remember him here in the v drive section. But I do rememeber him talking about his kid that got hurt in the motorcycle freestyle deal.
    Anyway, who the **** cares how fast that old sled goes. Lets talk about the more important issue at hand here.
    That chick in the boat is SMOKIN HOT!!

Beautiful Noise
    superdave013
    That chick in the boat is SMOKIN HOT!! [/QB]Just like you SuperDave to change the Subject
    Steve

HBjet
    uclahater:
    I hope your ready to get your lunch handed to ya I didn't say I would win, but I pair up with him starting from a squat. It would be interesting to see exactly when he catches up to me!
    HBjet

HBjet
    DUCKY:
    I'd say it's a 110 -115 mph boat on a good day. Unfortunately for HBJet, that's still plenty of v-drive to hand him his ass in a basket! So if we started from a squat, when would he pass me? The 1 mile marker? I'm really curious to know how long you would have to go to have a 110-115mph hydro that makes it's most power at 7200rpm to pass a 95mph jet that makes all of it's power at 5800rpm (remember, once you hit the gas in a jet, your at your max rpm)
    HBjet
    [ August 26, 2003, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: HBjet ]

Kurtis500
    10 sec-110mph shovel nose with 12% in the box, no tranny, a BIG prop and a tunnel ram 12.5:1 BBC on 110 octane. 7000rpm through the lights. Got a stack of time slips on that boat to prove it. The shovel nose could go much quicker and faster with a different set-up. But drag racing at a sanctioned race isnt about fastest speeds and times unless your in the pro classes, but its about hitting your number. So if it works, it works.
    My kurtis hydro runs 113-119 mph at 6200 rpm with an easy launch each time and with no desire to run it hard out the back door. Blown injected 392 hemi on alcohol and a very MILD tune-up. 32% in the box, no tranny, and a 3 blade cleaver. Got a stack of time slips for that one too.
    As for him, he isnt going to get it to 170 with that set-up. Those are pro-mod numbers, and they run much taller stuff than that.

HBjet
    Fiat48:
    I never met a jet boat out at the local lake that didn't go 100 mph.Well, my boat doesn't go 100, but it sure has beached it's share of 100mph boats. At Elsinore one time I raced a boat that runs in the mid-high 80's, and I won only hitting 77mph on the GPS. His response after I told him I was going 77mph, not a high 90 number (which he could have sworn I was going) was, "Well, those GPS's are always correct"
    Fiat48:
    I don't think he can go 170 nor do I think you'd run 150 in a flat. But you'd probably have more fun! As for me running 150 in a flat with my motor.... I was just stretching the truth... joking! You know, a Ha Ha, Funny Funny!
    HBjet

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast