Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Took the tubulators out!!!

shockwaveharry
    Leave 'em out... Just don't expect Mercury to warranty any broken exhaust valves for ya. But what are the odds of that happening???

Beer-30
    I gained about a mph or maybe 2 at the most. A little more bark to the exh note, and easier plane for sure.
    110 hrs without them and not one problem.

Not So Fast
    It's not the water from outside the boat that is the problem. The turbulators are designed to catch residule water that remains inside the exhaust header after the engine stops running. The water that is not blown out due to shutting down the engine. May not be a problem this year, however over time and for people that put more than 20-30 hrs a season on their engines it will soon become one.
    I am not a mechanic, but I play one on TV!
    Dem Murcury enginers dont no nutin do they. Probaby jus thinked them tahr turblators looked good so putem on huh? All kidding aside, why is it that boaters think the engineers from Mercury do the things they do?? There put them there for a reason, Maybe condensation, it doesnt take much for rust to start, but then tinkering with a boat is what we do, right??:idea: NSF

Beer-30
    When I took mine apart, I noticed no pooling or evidence of same. There was no rust inside, just soot. I don't think condensation has a chance against the black layer of smog that is lining the walls.
    Last I saw, there was none of this type of stuff inside of Dana, Stainless Marine, other types of "manifold" systems. Lightnings don't have them inside of each tube, nor do CMIs.
    Based on lack of visual confirmation of water pooling on the plate; coupled with no reports of people having any misfortune from removing the plates - I would say Merc has them in there as more of an "overkill" type thingie. Kinda like the rich setup in the ECM to keep "general boaters" from buring up engines.
    I didn't design them, but one just has to look at the different angles of it and decide whether it is something they want to do or not.

AZJD
    Just more food for thought.... I may be wrong, but I don't think Mercury uses stainless vaulves in the 496.............
    Maybe a little Rustoleum will help them.....:idea:

Beer-30
    Dem Murcury enginers dont no nutin do they. Probaby jus thinked them tahr turblators looked good so putem on huh? All kidding aside, why is it that boaters think the engineers from Mercury do the things they do?? There put them there for a reason, Maybe condensation, it doesnt take much for rust to start, but then tinkering with a boat is what we do, right??:idea: NSF
    Well, they also put a spaghetti strainer on the front for an air cleaner. I am quite certain they know what they are doing for the most part - or they wouldn't be as successful as they are. However, they are not perfect.

Not So Fast
    Well, they also put a spaghetti strainer on the front for an air cleaner. I am quite certain they know what they are doing for the most part - or they wouldn't be as successful as they are. However, they are not perfect.
    Nobody is perfect, not even you Paul NSF

phebus
    Mercury has to design their products for different installations and for different conditions. The blanket effect of the built in protection is not always necessary for every application.

blown65
    We took ours out of both engines and didn't really gain any performance.

rivercrazy
    I have 270 hours on my 496HO. 170 of them are without the turbulators. No problems with my motor. No rust on the valves and no condensation buildup in the manifolds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast