Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: distributer delema

86 catalina
    I got two diffrent aftermarkert distributers both are for big block chevy the motor that it will go into is a 496 ...10-1 compression take a look at the pics...The reason i am asking is because i have to appertley put a brass? gear on the distributer bacause i am running a full roller motor...thanks what do you guys think...Also one is a mallory breakerless/the other is a petronix that looks like it is marine ..

victorfb
    i have had good luck with the petronix stuff, but the mallory is probably a better unit from looking at the pics. i would however have them both checked out and while your there, have the one you choose re-curved to match your cam and motor profile. a re-curved distributer can and will gain you alot of power. i wouldnt just throw one in and hope for the best unless you know for sure it is in good shape. bushings, springs, weights, ect, all need to be looked at first.
    oh and just because its a roller cam doesnt mean it needs a bronse gear on the dist. some cams were made with sleel and some not so first find out from your cam manufacturer and have them tell you what you need to run.

Fiat48
    Most of those cams that do not require a bronze gear are a cast cam and not a billet.
    When in doubt..bronze gear it. Your cam will thank you.

Moneypitt
    Kevin, I'm with Bob here. Since I just spoke with you on the phone and you said it was a Herbert cam, bronze gear, period!.. Jet boat timing isn't that critical, just have it all in about 2800-3200. How much is "all", that depends on the C/R and the octane used. A ballpark place to start, IMO, is about 10-12 initial, and 20-22 in the distributor, for a total of 30 -34....in by 3200....Others will have "their" idea of perfered advance curve, that is what makes this forum cool, but the bottom line is each and every engine/boat combo has a different "sweet spot", and trial and error is the only way to really find what is "perfect" for your boat and the way it is used. ...Ray

86 catalina
    Thanks ray i appreciate it very much...

Fiat48
    On that subject of bronze gears....I tried to get Erson to do one of my grinds to where I could use a steel gear and get away from the bronze. The bronze wears so fast with these Super Mag deals I run. Anyway..they said they couldn't do it. You had to go to a cast cam and most of that stuff was hydraulic roller. Just passing along info.

86 catalina
    For the most part i understood what you were talking about on that clearance wall to skirt...Do you have any specs for me on that.. i think i am going to mic it tommorow now can can you fill me in again on what i need to do....thanks

Willis
    On that subject of bronze gears....I tried to get Erson to do one of my grinds to where I could use a steel gear and get away from the bronze. The bronze wears so fast with these Super Mag deals I run. Anyway..they said they couldn't do it. You had to go to a cast cam and most of that stuff was hydraulic roller. Just passing along info.
    Hello People,
    I use a Engle Cam and they cut the roller cams so you can run a steel gear on the dist.
    Doug Engle. 310 450 0806
    Tell them Willis sent you,
    Willis

Moneypitt
    For the most part i understood what you were talking about on that clearance wall to skirt...Do you have any specs for me on that.. i think i am going to mic it tommorow now can can you fill me in again on what i need to do....thanks
    I spoke with Kevin on the phone so I have a litle more info as to what he is doing. But, I want him to benefit from everyones knowledge on this subject, which is SKIRT to WALL for a boat vs a drag car. The engine he has was a drag motor with 13:1. To high for his use, so he bought some .060 SRP to use in the block that WAS bored for the drag car. I am afraid the drag car piston to wall will be too tight for his application, AND I guess no one really knows what size the bores really are except "it's .060 over."....So, what can we do for him as far as advice, since the pistons are already in the block....MP

Fiat48
    If he wants to confirm clearance..he needs to dial bore gauge the cylinder.
    As long as the bore is 4.310 or 4.311 he should be fine. Under 4.310 I would be concerned.
    Or Hell...use an inside mic. Can rent one I would imagine.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast