Thread: HELP... new motor blowing oil?

511 Southwind
    Just got my freshly built BBC running and on the lake. Once the motor warmed up a little it started "steaming" oil out of the breather and then the valve cover gaskets. There is no water present in the oil. Other than that runs great!
    I had a couple good backfires while trying to get it started, (Damn cheap gear drive!) Possibly the intake manifold gaskets or rings not seated....I know all the rings are in the right way etc. just can't figure out why its building that much pressure up top.
    Any input???
    Andrew

jkh04200
    Thats strange.
    Do the breathers have baffles. The oil sprays out of the push rods several feet with a good oil pump. The gasket sounds like its gotten hot and moved some. Just tighten it up. Do you have spreaders on the valve coners?

LGCDEVIL
    Too much oil? I don't think you are supposed to run a "boat" pan to full capacity.

511 Southwind
    The breather has a baffled grommet, so technically yes. I have fabricated aluminum valve covers that don't have baffles built in.
    I'm going to try to replace the gaskets, they're rubber gaskets but have been around since last season.
    As for the too much oil, that could be a possiblity I ran 8 qts plus one in the filter, its a full hamburger style pan though so I can't really imagine its overfull but it would make sense if that were the case.

VAMI
    I had problems like that but it was the wind pulling the oil out of the breathers even with baffles.So I put 2 puke tanks down low and ran a -12 hose to the coevers that are now welded with a 12 fitting.i know sheetmetal valve covers are usally not flat from the welding check that.