Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Balsa core hulls

nodigg
    Oaky, so I got one. People say that is a good thing. Now tell me why.
    Stronger? Truer? Lighter? What.

ratso
    Oaky, so I got one. People say that is a good thing. Now tell me why.
    Stronger? Truer? Lighter? What.
    Strong til it delaminates and/or gets water in it, then the wood rots away like cancer.

nodigg
    Strong til it delaminates and/or gets water in it, then the wood rots away like cancer.
    Till or IF?

nodigg
    And another thing, cheaper to build or more expensive?

ratso
    That would be better to ask a builder, but I'm sure cheaper to build. I think they hold up better in saltwater, but freshwater plays hell on them. I have yet to see one that didn't have some rot damage, but then you really can't compare boats in this area to the better quality stuff found on the west coast.

spectras only
    If I would want to go for a composite hull , I'd choose a foam core hulled boat like Fountain . I've seen balsa cored boats waterlogged , caused by reckless owners drilling/ screwing things into stringers etc...
    Water travels and rots the balsa like cancer. I think balsa coring was intended for racing sailboats for lightness and strength origionally . If you hit a submerged object , a heavy lay up hand rolled FG hull would fare better , not puncturing the hull through as easy . Baja had used balsa coring for some time , and they learned the hard way to reinforce the newer hulls with Kevlar I think .They had to many delamination claims as well . Friend of mine just sold his 1998 29 Outlaw , that needed extensive hull repair after he hit 4 foot roller at our local Pokerrun 2 years ago , ripping the stringers out by inertia . He was in the same snot I was . I like the Baja hulls with no steps and for handling rough seas , but there are to many negatives coming from owners who never would buy a Baja again :idea: . I like ther new models with the new graphics , so I'm not flaming them

nodigg
    Good stuff, anyone else?

HPBoats83
    If I'm not mistaken I think Lavey is doing Bolsa and so is Warlock. Those are 2 very good name's in the industry.

Xlration Marine
    I used it in the 18' tunnel that I built. In each sponson and the across tthe floor. Core mat in the deck. This was a true tunnel not a pickle fork. A coring material is used to save weight. You need something or your just building up a bunch of glass the achive the same stiffnes, and glas is very heavy with all that extra resin as well. And the balsa will soak up the resin when being layed, unlike ply wood.

Racey
    Water belongs on the outside of the boat guys, not the inside Keep the thing dry inside and you will have no problem, that means tell the kids and old lady not to jump in soaking wet, Many of the schiadas we have done have balsa core and if you keep treat the boat nice and have the thing rigged properly they will last forever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast