Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cylinder Head Flow...

pw_Tony
    I'm not sure if there is an equation for figuring how much horsepower can be produced with a cfm on intake runner.
    Something like cfm=capable of this much horsepower...
    or anything like that?

wsm9808
    Lots of good calculators at this site
    http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

Jetaholic
    No because carburetor CFM is all dependant on the volumetric efficiency of the engine and at what RPM...the cam has a lot to do with it.

pw_Tony
    No because carburetor CFM is all dependant on the volumetric efficiency of the engine and at what RPM...the cam has a lot to do with it.
    Not talking about an actually engine outputs. Just asking with what intake CFM is capable of what horsepower.

Sleeper CP
    Not talking about an actually engine outputs. Just asking with what intake CFM is capable of what horsepower.
    Here is some very costly info. I have spent a shit load of $$$$$ to know this and I can't believe I'm giving it to you for nada. You owe me a couple of beers for this at the least.
    There are a shit load of variables that go into this, however Geoff Mummert and I have found that on 3 Engine Master's Engines we have done and 3 of my BBF's with very well ported heads. All of these engines have VEs approaching or exceeding 110%, compression varied from 10.5 to 12:1, Ford engines and Chevys. If all is just right and you have done your home work you can get 2.1 hp/cfm. But that ain't your average garage rebuild.
    I haven't checked it but Jon Kaases 2 winning engine masters probably did better than that. And I'm sure there are builders how can get more than Geoff and I did, but that just tells you how much work they have to do to beat our number of 2.1hp/cfm . You worked with Geoff and you know that he eats,breathes,sleeps and dreams air flow and hp. So our 2.1 hp/cfm is a very good number.
    408 CfM= 855.6 HP , 310 cfm= 657 hp, 340cfm= 715, 445cfm=935 all single carbs
    BSFC's ran from .366 to .50
    You owe me.
    Sleeper CP

Try .25714 x cfm x 8. That is the formula lot's of guys use(including AFR). That should be worth a 6 pack at least(decimal point and 5 places), lol. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

pw_Tony
    Here is some very costly info. I have spent a shit load of $$$$$ to know this and I can't believe I'm giving it to you for nada. You owe me a couple of beers for this at the least.
    There are a shit load of variables that go into this, however Geoff Mummert and I have found that on 3 Engine Master's Engines we have done and 3 of my BBF's with very well ported heads. All of these engines have VEs approaching or exceeding 110%, compression varied from 10.5 to 12:1, Ford engines and Chevys. If all is just right and you have done your home work you can get 2.1 hp/cfm. But that ain't your average garage rebuild.
    I haven't checked it but Jon Kaases 2 winning engine masters probably did better than that. And I'm sure there are builders how can get more than Geoff and I did, but that just tells you how much work they have to do to beat our number of 2.1hp/cfm . You worked with Geoff and you know that he eats,breathes,sleeps and dreams air flow and hp. So our 2.1 hp/cfm is a very good number.
    408 CfM= 855.6 HP , 310 cfm= 657 hp, 340cfm= 715, 445cfm=935 all single carbs
    BSFC's ran from .366 to .50
    You owe me.
    Sleeper CP
    Why yes... yes I do. Working with Geoff taught me alot, but not near enough lol. He's in his own horsepower world, and distractions suck haha. But thanks for the info! You were actually the guy I was waiting for a reply from
    Miller Light ok?

Sleeper CP
    Why yes... yes I do. Working with Geoff taught me alot, but not near enough lol. He's in his own horsepower world, and distractions suck haha. But thanks for the info! You were actually the guy I was waiting for a reply from
    Miller Light ok?
    Spent 9 hrs on the dyno today with Geoff , half of them chasing our tail because the carb was all jacked up. Revised 565" Ford w/ A-460 FordMotorsport Heads W/ single dominator made
    765 ft.lbs at 6000 / 874 HP and 935 HP at 7,000 w/ 701 ft.lbs (all throttle no bottle, baby)
    And she has more left in her. Had to pull it off tonight too much $$$ to stay on tomorrow morning. I'll try to find it next Winter, actually we know where it is we just ran out of time. We only made 12 good pulls and those numbers posted came from the 7th pull. The 12th we re-set back to number 7 and backed it up.
    For river beer, Coors light is fine or MGD.
    Sleeper CP

pw_Tony
    935 HP at 7000rpm!
    That is indeed extremely impressive out ofa N/A motor.
    Where di you guys dyno at?

Sleeper CP
    935 HP at 7000rpm!
    That is indeed extremely impressive out ofa N/A motor.
    Where di you guys dyno at?
    That's extra impressive with a single four barrel. That's worth a few extra merit points.
    We dyno'd at HP Engine and Dyno Service in El Cajon , off of old Hwy 80 and Lake Jennings, Oh Ultra Boats is just down the street a few hundred yards.
    His dyno and dyno room is top of the line. DTS dyno and an engineered dyno room. Just a top of the line operation. I don't think there is a better facility in San Diego County.
    Sleeper CP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast