Thread: gas tanks

v-drive
    Both tanks in my boat have leaks. Is there anyplace in oc that welds aluminum tanks? Also, can anyone suggest one of the chemical sealers on the market. I used one from ford obsolete a couple of years ago and it worked awsome but I just want to know if there are any others out there
    Thanks... v-drive

502 JET
    I can't help you with a welder. But I can tell you what I did.
    My tanks were not leaking, I pulled them out to install larger pickups and found I had some pitting on the bottom of them, thanks to Eliminator installing them in a bed of carpet. A couple spots I was able to push a pick tool through. I welded up the holes. The other areas of light pitting I cleaned and sealed with JB weld. I then cleaned and sealed the inside of the tanks with this cleaning/etching/epoxy kit (http://www.kbs-coatings.com/KBS-Gas-...ealer-C38.aspx). After the inside dried I sanded the outside of the tanks and applied west systems epoxy to them. I spent a little over $200. bucks in materials restoring the tanks.
    I sealed my tanks about a month ago and just put gas in them tonight so I cant answer how long this sealant lasts or how it performs. The sealant that leaked onto the outside of tank was a biotch to scrape off with a razor blade and seems to have one hell of grip on to the tank. Only time will tell for sure.

boats&bars
    Aero fuel tanks in corona off the 91 by commander I forget the offramp
    dont attempt to fix them yourself, its not worth the risk.... hope this helps

v-drive
    Thanks, I would like to have them welded but I also want to seal them from the inside... v-drive

v-drive
    Hmmm! I went on aeros website but it says nothing about repair. Is this something they have done for you recently?..v-drive

v-drive
    Called a place that built a radiator for my old chevy truck a million years ago.
    They are rebuilding My tanks and will guarantee them as long as I let them do it there way. $335 for everything..Mattson's Radiator,inc.
    mattsonsradiator.com,
    v-drive

v-drive
    I just picked my tanks up and although it took a lot longer than I expected they are like brand new. they even cut the tank open and re welded a loose baffle. after cutting and rewelding them they did the re-nu(sp) system. wasn't cheap but when you look at the price of new ones it is.
    come on vacation v-drive