Thread: Water Flow set-ups Magnaflow

corleone17
    I am running 21Ft Spectra Daycruiser V-Drive with a Magna-Flow water pump and I am in the process of putting in a 509 Merlin with Gil Exhaust Manifolds(to replace old Log style)I had. My Question is? What is the best set-up for water flow?... Water pump to bottom of Gil Manifolds then from top of manifold to front of block? Or Water pump to front of block out intake to bottom of Gil? Most of my boating is on the Colorado River Or Lake Havasu/Mohave? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

SK48
    On both of my boats I run the water into the exhaust manifolds first, and then to the motor. I figure it will preheat the water a little before it gets into the engine. I do all of my boating on the Colorado River, and with the magnaflow pump the motors always run very cool.

Thunderbutt
    If you have an oil cooler go to it first then the exhaust then the block Originally posted by corleone17:
    I am running 21Ft Spectra Daycruiser V-Drive with a Magna-Flow water pump and I am in the process of putting in a 509 Merlin with Gil Exhaust Manifolds(to replace old Log style)I had. My Question is? What is the best set-up for water flow?... Water pump to bottom of Gil Manifolds then from top of manifold to front of block? Or Water pump to front of block out intake to bottom of Gil? Most of my boating is on the Colorado River Or Lake Havasu/Mohave? Any advise would be greatly appreciated!

Costello
    Originally posted by Thunderbutt:
    If you have an oil cooler go to it first then the exhaust then the block
    This is how mine is setup. I just replaced the impeller in the Mercruiser style pump, and it runs 180-190 max water temp.

corleone17
    I do have a Oil Cooler and Tranny Cooler(Dan Olsen) They have a seperate pick-up though than my water pump? They have a motion type pick-up on the bottom of the boat. It goes from the pick-up to the oil cooler in and out to the tranny cooler in and out to the Casale V-Drive. Is this an Ok Set-up?