Thread: Electronics Questions-Stereo/battery

kap
    The stereo world is very confusing????
    I need help in selecting a good system for my boat one that delivers crisp sounds and will last if it gets sprayed accidentally.
    I.E. one that is made for a marine environment, easy to use and Sirius Sat. ready.
    1. What brand of Speakers---I need,,, 8--- 6.5's and 2---12 inch subs?????
    2. Head unit----sirius is a must---and amps. I figure at least 3 four channel---and three remotes one digital at the helm?????
    3. What type of battery charger some say Xantrex others say Iota not really sure. The charger will have a Honda generator connected to it [EU2000] and must be compatible. Oh I plan on only running two batteries total for the boat. Figured with the generator onboard starting is not going to be a problem.
    I have some feedback but mostly from car guys who don't really know marine environments ie.... wet and high UV exposure.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    KAP

kap
    I am completely overwhelmed with the response :sleeping: :jawdrop: . I guess I should just go out and pound the pavement for answers.

phebus
    Do yourself a favor, and call Car Toyz in Lake Havasu. They will give you the answers you are looking for, and if you need someone to do the installation, you won't be happier.

kap
    Thanks Phebus:
    Did not know who to trust in that realm. They [car places] promise bitchin sound and you pay up front then you get it put together and it sounds OK but not like they promised.
    I will call them thanks!!!! .
    KAP

duner21
    I will agree with phebus. Jp at car toyz just did my stereo in my new conquest. It rocks plain and simple. I did 8 6.5 memphis audio speakers,4 jl subs,2 alpine pdx amps,alpine head unit,remotes the whole deal. Super clean install and it sounds great! And i guarantee you WILL NOT beat the customer service anywhere. 928-680-0203 ask for jp or frank!

riverbound
    Being that you are in SD I would take a little drive up to Temecula and see the boys at Wired for Sound.
    The best advice I could give you is make sure to spend your money at a shop that does quite a few boats. they know which components will hold up in a marine environment.

boats&bars
    The stereo world is very confusing????
    I need help in selecting a good system for my boat one that delivers crisp sounds and will last if it gets sprayed accidentally.
    I.E. one that is made for a marine environment, easy to use and Sirius Sat. ready.
    1. What brand of Speakers---I need,,, 8--- 6.5's and 2---12 inch subs?????
    2. Head unit----sirius is a must---and amps. I figure at least 3 four channel---and three remotes one digital at the helm?????
    3. What type of battery charger some say Xantrex others say Iota not really sure. The charger will have a Honda generator connected to it [EU2000] and must be compatible. Oh I plan on only running two batteries total for the boat. Figured with the generator onboard starting is not going to be a problem.
    I have some feedback but mostly from car guys who don't really know marine environments ie.... wet and high UV exposure.
    Thanks in advance for your help.
    KAP get ahold of mrriverlover here on the boards he has got a great system close to what you are thinking of

kap
    Hey Thanks for posting I will definitely follow up on those leads.
    I was told to have the manufacturer install the components? OR
    Is it OK to have it done after the boat is put together????
    It would seem that install during the build process would be the way to go.
    Any thoughts.
    Once again Thank you to the members posting info.
    KAP

riverbound
    Hey Thanks for posting I will definitely follow up on those leads.
    I was told to have the manufacturer install the components? OR
    Is it OK to have it done after the boat is put together????
    It would seem that install during the build process would be the way to go.
    Any thoughts.
    Once again Thank you to the members posting info.
    KAP
    i would never have the manufacturer do the install (except DCB) they build boats and most "factory installed" systems I have seen has left something to be desired. boats are easy to take apart and a decen shop will be able to do it with no problems.
    In my career of doing audio I probably ran in the thousands of boats through my shop and had a very low level of problems.

kap
    Riverbound:
    I was thinking of just taking them the components I choose and have them do the install.
    That way they are responsible if they cut out the wrong hole etc...
    Appreciate your referral. I have heard good things about Wired for Sound.
    KAP