Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Aluminum Heads to buy????

ghittner
    Im looking at aluminum 345 cc intake runner heads with 119cc chambers for a 500" blower motor with about 8 pds boost and 8:1 static compression running on 91 pump gas. My question is what heads to buy? Merlin, Edelbrock, Brodix, Dart, Procomp? Price is an object so I'm leaning toward the World Jenkins. Does anybody know about the procomps? Others? Thanks.

VAMI
    I think procomp are 320 cc get some protopline.Good price and quality.I sell them 775 each with cnc'ed chambers no parts

HONDOG
    For a blown package I like the Canfield 350s. They have about the best exhaust port off the shelf. With the blower the challenge is not to get the charge in, but to get it out. These are under $2,000 from Comp Products ready to run.
    Just one dumb okie's opinion.

cfm
    My 02 - don't by the Procraps as LakesOnly calls them. I call them Pro-Fakes. They are a company that makes it's money by ripping off the good American performance companies.
    A fellow boater just made over 1k hp with 8.25:1 540cid with AFR 315cc and 10psi on pump gas.
    Even a cheaper set of heads will become more expensive because of the valves you should run with good hp and a blower.
    Canfields do start out cheaper than most the others and is a decent head.
    Don't go so cheap that it becomes more expensive to do it 'right' later.

hotbo
    well i dont care what you call them ive got 2 sets of proshits or whatever running around and i love them make good power and are easy to setup and cost alot less than the big names.dont know where they are made and dont care.for the money they are hard to beat good luck and i wish you the best.

ghittner
    What about the Darts?

well i dont care what you call them ive got 2 sets of proshits or whatever running around and i love them make good power and are easy to setup and cost alot less than the big names.dont know where they are made and dont care.for the money they are hard to beat good luck and i wish you the best.
    bet you are the last one to come back on this thread to tell all of us your exhaust seats fell out. AND THEY WILL!

hotbo
    bet you are the last one to come back on this thread to tell all of us your exhaust seats fell out. AND THEY WILL!
    hell you maybe right.:idea: i hope not.i had both sets built by my head guy and he always does a hell of a job.he thought they were great heads.:idea: so do i.so maybe i will get lucky and for that matter so i hope some other peeps get lucky to. so your saying that all of them drop seats or just some you have heard of?have you had bad luck with them or are you going by some pissed off peeps word of mouth. really would like to know the truth.some times peeps talk out there asses i do. anyway imo they are good some will agree some will disagree either way i wish the motor builder the best and good luck later trav.

Slacker
    These are what i am running now, i am happy with them. Running pump gas BBC and a TBS 6-71. Either these or the darts both similar in price but Edel's come with the inconel valves . I had to buy springs and retainers but i would had to change them on the Darts anyways.

so your saying that all of them drop seats or just some you have heard of? later trav.
    have seen two set that the exhaust seats came lose, seems that there is two problems with them. The seats themselves are thin and don't have much purchase in the head, the other seems that there isn't enuff head material around the seat. All this adds up to a hot seat that doesn't transfer heat well,& the alum around the seat hold its shape and the seat falls out. NOW for the good news, if you are running some whimpy ass flat hyd cam you may never have a problem. Put those POS on a motor running 7000 to 7500 for any amount of time and they will fail.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast