Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: knotching stringers to mount seats lower?

wsm9808
    I,ve got an Eliminator Daytona 19ft jet project hull that I'm restoring as a lake hot rod.
    I dont like the way the seats set so high on top of the full lenght stringers. It doesnt even feel like your in the boat when seated.
    I've had 2 other 19ft pickleforks. A Liberator and a Nordic. The Liberator only had stringers in the engine box, and the Nordic someone(factory ?) had cut out a section of the stringers for the front seats and they set right on top of the tunnel humps. I never had any problems with either boat.
    A jetboat building company that I called said that the small tunnel boats dont really need a full lenght stringer because the walls of the tunnels give the hull support. Anyone else seen any tunnel boats with the stringers knotched or cut away for seat mounting.
    I sure would like to lower those seats, but I dont want to compromise the hull or damage the resale value.

Im really against doing that but guys do it all the time. How thick are the stringers, what kind of lay up is the boat?

Wicked Performance Boats
    I've seen it done a few times BUT personally I'd never buy a boat that that had been done to it. I believe it hurts the resale. Budlight

DelawareDave
    The stringers in mine are 4" tall at the engine bay area, then are cut down to 2" the rest of the way forward. They are approximately 3/4" solid wood.

At the end of the day you are still sitting in the seat. What difference would it make if the seats were deeper in the hull? The seats wont hold you in any more than if they were mounted high. Personally I would rather be thrown clear of that hull rather than through it if an accident were to happen. Just my opinion though.

Wicked Performance Boats
    Put an extension on your steering column. It will make you feel safer as it will be higher. Budlight

ck7684
    Is there any way to "channel" the seats down over the stringers??

Is there any way to "channel" the seats down over the stringers??
    That really would not do you any good. The only additional depth you could gain without cutting the stringers would be to removing padding or going to a fiberglass race bucket that is not as thick as a conventional plywood seat. This would still only net a minimal difference.

Mr. Crusader 83
    Is 2in really going to make you feel safer?

mouzer
    My nordic pickle fork tunnel has big full stringers notch out for the front seats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast