Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: winterize my jet boat?

THE BOSTON SIDEWINDER
    Here In Boston Is't Been Ice Nipple For A Month! The Way I've Always Done It(and The Other 300 Boats A Year At Our Marina):
    6 Gallons Of -50 Non Tox Anti-freeze(the Pink Stuff From Any Rv Store) Into The Engine Block/exhaust/cooling Hoses. C.r.c 656 Or Wd-40 Sprayed All Over The Outside Of The Engine. Get A Pint Of Marvel Mystery Oil Start Your Engine, Warm It Up A Little And Put About 4 To 5 Ounces Of The Mystery Oil Right Down The Carb. Just When It Starts To Really Smoke Shut The Engine Off Quick!(to Keep The Oil In The Cylinders 'til Spring).( If You Have New Merc E.f.i. See Your Dealer Don't Use Marvel!) When You Re-commission The Boat In The Spring Don't Worry About The Non-tox But When You Start It Up For The First Time Your Neighbor Might Run Over To You With A Fire Extinguisher Because For About 5 Minutes That Boat Won't Even Be Seen There Will Be So Much Smoke! Works Every Time And You Maybe Spent $25 Bucks.
    I've Found That If You Have A Few Days Of Around Freezing Or Below There Is A Danger Of It Freezing. We Had One Last Week That Was Lucky Because The Engine Only Blew Out 2 Freeze Plugs, But I Have Seen Them Where You Could Fit Your Small Finger Into The Block Crack! Winter Is A Crazy Thing You Hear Stories Of Freezing Temperatures Were They Have'nt Heard Of Anything Like That For Decades. Just My $.02 Worth. Merry Christmas To All!...bill.

nitro557
    youll have two 1/4 pipe plugs on the sides of the block,one on each side ,mid blockish down by the oil pan rail,remove those use a nail or small srewdrive to clean out debri and get the water flowing out ,also pull off the hoses to your exh manifold-logs ,and drain those
    next pull off one of the hoses at the thermostat houseing and start pouring in rv antifreeze,did you put the side plugs back in and reconnect the hoses sorry,fire the motor up and fog it ,your done
    in your climate drianing will be enough

Jeanyus
    Normally I just pull the 2 pipe plugs on the side of the engine block. This year I'm not going to bother doing it, haven't you heard about global warming?

speed freak
    Like nitro said, pull the plugs out on each side of the block. Although there may be petcocks already installed on the block, if thats the case, open em up and make sure water comes out. If nothing comes out you will have to pull the petcock out and remove the blockage so it will drain. If there are just plugs in it they may be tuff to get out! Unhook the feed line from the pump to the engine at the lowest point so that water will drain, and also at the headers. Forget about antifreeze. You won't need it where your at!

MikeF
    On your pump there are 2 pipe plugs. Remove both, put gear oil in some type of bottle that you can press fit into one of the holes and push the new oil into the bowl until clean oil start spilling out of the opposite one. There is usually some water in there (from pump pressure) and gets mixed w/the oil that is supposed to be in there. There is a seal there but it still seems to get in there. I do that before all outings to make sure I got oil in there.

1975sleekcraft
    pull the two motor plugs(just under or around your freeze plugs)
    pull the lower aft hoses of both logs
    i also pull the plugs out of the logs
    shoot fogging oil directly into th carb(till it smokes)
    your done! at this point there is no reason to put antifreeze in!
    my boat made it through two -10 F winters no problem! yakima wa.

1978 Rogers
    Anti freeze is good if its gets cold down there. I keep a 100watt light bulb under the block to help put off a little heat the keep the temp consistent under the cover. That helps cut down on condesation. The bad news is if the bulb goes like it did on me a couple days ago when it was cold, your soft plugs will pop out. NOT A PRETTY SIGHT TO SEE. I'd say definate on the anti freeze. Even the the RV water line stuff works good.

BigDoug
    I've put a heater blanket (for bed) on the engine to keep it warm at night but it takes many nights of below freezing temps to do any damage, one or two nights at 30 deg. won't hurt it but i turned the blanket on for my peace of mind anyways, cheap insurance.

h2oboy
    I pull the inlet hose and conect a hose from a pump and pump antifreeze into the block until it comes out the back. Do not forget to close off the headers before turning on the pump. A little wd-40 in the spark plug holes and you should be good... Turn it over a few times, no gas to turn the crank... never had any problems.... Works for me

IMPATIENT 1
    pull the two motor plugs(just under or around your freeze plugs)
    pull the lower aft hoses of both logs
    i also pull the plugs out of the logs
    shoot fogging oil directly into th carb(till it smokes)
    your done! at this point there is no reason to put antifreeze in!
    my boat made it through two -10 F winters no problem! yakima wa.
    WHAT ABOUT MANAGING RUST IN THE BLOCK OVER THE WINTER?WITHOUT ANTIFREEZE, THE WATER JACKETS WILL FORM RUST AND WEAKEN CYLINDER WALLS.IF YA DON'T REMOVE ALL THE WATER FROM EXHAUST LOGS THEY'LL CRACK.I DIDN'T DO THIS LAST YR.I PULLED BLOCK PLUGS AND THOUGHT I HAD ALL THE WATER OUT TILL I SEEN THE FREEZE PLUGS SETTING IN THE BILGE.I WENT BACK TO WHAT I KNEW WORKED FOR ME.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast