I am a native of Los Angeles, born and raised. Aside from college in Northern California, I have lived in the San Fernando valley all of my life. Every year I go through a bout of "lets get the f outta here", wanting to move far away, but the wife always puts the veto on it. Weather, beaches, boating, restaurants, hospitals, ect., is her justification, for me I am tired of the rat race, population, and rudeness that comes with the good. Keep in mind have two young boys, 2 and 6, so that plays a factor into this as well.
This year, when I told here I would be willing to stay in Cali, but want to move closer to the beach, her ears perked up and she is ALL for it, full steam ahead. Our goal is to be withing 5-10 blocks of the water, with a marina close by of course for launching my boat. Looking for a modest house, preferable on a foothill with a little view of the water, with the logic of having my backyard the pacific ocean, so an acre of land isn't necessary.
We have been doing alot of research online, and plan to visit all the following locations in the next few months to get a guage and feel to see if this move is feasible. I am confident I can find a house within my budget in all these communites except for La Jolla, LOL.
San Diego (Mission Bay, Pacific Beach, Bay Park Area)
La Jolla
Carlsbad
Oceanside
San Clemente
San Juan Capistrano
Huntington Beach
Ventura
Los Osos
Capitola/Aptos
Questions I would like answers to on these locations
1) Cloudy most of the year as most beach cities are?
2) General character of the town?
3) Restaurants, quanitity and quality, different kinds of foods?
4) Public Schools OK? Private school money plays a factor into the mortgage.
5) Seasons, do the smaller towns shut down in the offseason?
6) Offshore Boating community?
Just trying to get some info if any of you have experience in any of these locals, thanks in advance. Any other input aside from my questions would also be appreciated.
P.S. She won't do anywhere with humidity in the summer, she grew up in that, so the Destin/TB Florida logic ain't happening.
Chris