Thread: Bravo-1 Power steering failure

Beer-30
    Boat was 100% perfect on Saturday. Mid-way through Sunday, fired it up and didn't have PS. I went left to right a few times at idle and it was "chunky" like there was a tiny bit of assistance, but not much.
    I immediately checked the fluid and there was plenty. No howling from the pump.
    One of the merc manual suggestions is belt tightness. I forgot that the serp system isn't auto-tensioned, so I will check that first. It feels more to me like the control unit itself.
    Just wonder if anyone else has had similar proplems with theirs.
    2001 unit with 230 hours.
    A new assembly is around $230, so I will most likely just get a new unit.

sdpm
    Call me and I will explain to you how to test it. Neil (619)698-9605

Beer-30
    Will do. Thanks.

Beer-30
    Put on a new steering assembly ($230). Took about an hour.
    Ran it out to BV this morning and it is wonderful. Tighter and smoother than the old one.
    Off to Havasu in 3 days.

tucson_boat_guy
    Call me and I will explain to you how to test it. Neil (619)698-9605
    Is this test procedure easy, this would be a great sticky thread. My steering is just like manual so I am guessing that it has the same problem. Where is a good place to get this part and what part is it I need to replace. I have worked on many outdrives so I can sure I can figure it out. I am off to the store to get the manual for the Bravo 1 to start getting familiar with all the parts of the steering on this unit.
    Thanks all you guys for the info on this site.

Beer-30
    Is this test procedure easy, this would be a great sticky thread. My steering is just like manual so I am guessing that it has the same problem. Where is a good place to get this part and what part is it I need to replace. I have worked on many outdrives so I can sure I can figure it out. I am off to the store to get the manual for the Bravo 1 to start getting familiar with all the parts of the steering on this unit.
    Thanks all you guys for the info on this site.
    There are several testing procedures in the manual.
    I was never able to get a hold of Neil to test the unit. I just went by my gut feeling that the unit had gone out. Besides, it was only 230-some dollars for a whole new unit. I just went to the Merc website, entered my outdrive serial number, and it showed the whole list of parts. I highlighted and copied the number of the steering assembly and pasted it in the Google box. The best price was at MarinePower. $233 I think.
    Super easy to replace.