Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: I won't buy a optima battery.

Riverbass
    I bought optima battery (blue top) back in April. When I bought this battery it was almost dead but it did fire the boat.
    I ran the boat 4 times since then. The boat was run 3 weeks ago. I pulled the boat out Sunday and went to fire it off and nothing by the way I unhook the battery when I store it. Checked the charging system and cables, all good. Now the PRICKS at optima donÂ’t want to replace it they tell me after they charge it if it holds a charge for one day there is nothing wrong with it. Now I need to drop 2 more bills on a battery but it wonÂ’t be an optima for the jet. I was going to replace all three batteries in the bass boat with optimaÂ’s but I am going to stick with the AC Delco deep cycles. DonÂ’t know what to do about optima I just want my money back. But thatÂ’s not going to happen without a fight. CanÂ’t go into what happened when I called customer service here. But she was a bxxxh also very poor customer service.

Havasu Carrera
    I bought my boat with two red tops that were about 2 years old. I ran them all year but it seems they only last about 1 hour with stereo on?? My charger just says they are 100% but I dono. I think there is a battery thread here somewhere. I just like the sealed deal. Sorry bout your pain.

Sleek-Jet
    This is the first I've heard of anyone having a problem with an optima... I've got a red top in my Cutlass... it get's started once every couple of months, if that it seems, and the battery always cranks the engine till it starts. And the battery is coming up on 6 years old.
    If you want to go with a gel cell like the optima, but don't want an optima, I've had good luck with Excide Gel Cell batteries. I've got one in my Blazer that has survived 2 summers here in the heat. Wasn't really any cheaper than brand "O" though.

Slacker
    I have a red top in my expedintion going on 6 years now no problems... Now my blue top is a different story. I bought one last may and only used it about 5 times since then, put it in the boat over the winter(didnt charge it as it says you dont have to). Gave me some problems while putting in new motor, Took it for a ride on july 4 no prob, come home and charge it up. Go to take it out 3 days later, charger light says its good to go,put it in and wont start. Took it to Advance auto along with my alt. and both were bad. Called Optima (kinda crappy service reps) told me i had to take it back to the place i bought it. Suppose to have an 18 month warranty on it (no questions), so i traded it in for another one so i will wait and see what happens. A gentleman a Batteries Plus told me OPtima had a bad batch of batteries go about the same time i bought mine last year, I believed him as i didnt purchast a thing from him.So you should be able to take it back and trade it in or get some money back for the warranty... Good luck

cdog
    My blue tops have been excellent. I even have 1 left over from my schiada. The Alternator in the schiada would fry from the RPM's and the Optima blue top would run the fuel pump and msd system. I'd bet you have a short that's killing the batt.

Riverbass
    My blue tops have been excellent. I even have 1 left over from my schiada. The Alternator in the schiada would fry from the RPM's and the Optima blue top would run the fuel pump and msd system. I'd bet you have a short that's killing the batt.
    Can't kill a battery that has not hooked up in three weeks. That means no short.

meaniam
    I bought optima battery (blue top) back in April. When I bought this battery it was almost dead but it did fire the boat.
    I ran the boat 4 times since then. The boat was run 3 weeks ago. I pulled the boat out Sunday and went to fire it off and nothing by the way I unhook the battery when I store it. Checked the charging system and cables, all good. Now the PRICKS at optima donÂ’t want to replace it they tell me after they charge it if it holds a charge for one day there is nothing wrong with it. Now I need to drop 2 more bills on a battery but it wonÂ’t be an optima for the jet. I was going to replace all three batteries in the bass boat with optimaÂ’s but I am going to stick with the AC Delco deep cycles. DonÂ’t know what to do about optima I just want my money back. But thatÂ’s not going to happen without a fight. CanÂ’t go into what happened when I called customer service here. But she was a bxxxh also very poor customer service.
    if you bought it with a credit card . file a claim tell them exactly what the problem is. i didnt go with the blue top becuase of cca cold cranking amps being lower. most of the time the credit card will fight it for you. and i have never lost. then you just throw the p.o.s away. dont the optima need to be trickle charged at first to recive a full charge?

12BJeepin
    I have been running Optima's since they first came out 12 or so years ago. After the company sold, I believe the customer service went away also.
    Anyhow there might be a possible solutions to your problem. Disconnect the battery and take it out of the boat, hold it about 12" from the ground and drop it. Do this about 7 or 8 times, put a good trickle charge on it, and see what happens. As oddly as it sounds, it has worked for me several times, on both new and old Optima's.

sunsoaker8
    I had the same problem. I bought a blue top Optima at All American Battery and used it one day. Ran from Havasu to Needles Marina and back. Battery got hot and lost the charge by the time I got back to Havasu. Brought it back to All American and talked to someone at the counter.. said they would replace it... then someone else came out.. Steve I think his name was.. jacked me around and said the battery checked out ok. Refused to replace it. I went home and called Optima and explained the situation and they drop shipped me a new battery. Had it in 3 days.... needless to say.. won't be going back to All American.. for anything.. Call Optima customer service.. they should replace it for you. The replacement battery is working fine.

RitcheyRch
    I too have had Optimas since they came out about 10-12 years ago. Remember buying my first one at the LA Auto Show. I have never had any issues with them.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast