Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: I won't buy a optima battery.

Cas
    pretty interesting. It's either they're great or they suck. I've had 3 red tops that went bad so I'll never be buying another.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    you must charge Optimas with a AGM (Advanced Glass Matt) charger, std charger will not work and will most likely short the 1st cell hooked to the Neg terminal...causing a power drain internial to the batt..
    using the right charger is key to the optimas life.....
    the right charger (http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1000a.html)
    I will have to disagree with you Karl. I have been selling optimas for 10 years and never once heard this before. You just have to trickle chrge them on 1 or 2 amp for a long cycle. Keep ANY battery disconnected and maintain a charge if it isnt being used for a extended period of time.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Pro......non spillable
    Pro......no corrosion
    Pro......size
    pro......longevity
    Con.....price
    Look at the delco batteries. They have been leaking on the positive terminal for a long time. When this happens they can take out the battery cable,starter, and battery tray.

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Just pulled 2 out of my denali and they have been in there for almost 3 years. Still have 100% charge and work perfect. I had them on 8 12's, 6 tv's, 2 1800 watt amps, 1 500watt amp, and all the other power stuff in my Denali. They worked perfect until july 1st at 12:22pm :cry:

Devilman
    I was at Wallworld (Walmart) a few weeks ago and saw that they had 1000 CCA deep cycle marine batteries for $69.95, and on top of that I think they came with a 24 month replacement guarantee. For that much for a 1000 CCA battery, you could afford to replace them every other year.
    Whatever that black & yellow battery Wal-Mart sells, I put that in the boat in summer of 2004. Been fine ever since. No trickle chargers, no disconnecting the battery either. Think it was around $60 bucks when I got it? Like was mentioned, "long live the cheapo".....
    (hoping the faint *clunk* I just heard was not my battery suddenly keeling over, lol)

DEMOMAN
    I run Odessey instead of Optima and have never had a problem. I'll run the system pretty hard for three days without killing them. 2- 2150's for the stereo and one small one as an emergency starter.

a catered life
    Buy the Optimas at Cosco. I take mine back every year at the start of boating season, every now and again I let the Stereo play too long and kill 1 but rather than charge it I just go get another one.
    best info so far i agree we do the same

RitcheyRch
    I use the Ctek Charger for my Optimas
    http://www.ctek.com/us/home.asp
    you must charge Optimas with a AGM (Advanced Glass Matt) charger, std charger will not work and will most likely short the 1st cell hooked to the Neg terminal...causing a power drain internial to the batt..
    using the right charger is key to the optimas life.....
    the right charger (http://store.schumachermart.com/sc-1000a.html)

meaniam
    some good info on this site. i am gonna try the dropping of the battery deal on one of them that i have laying around. see if that works for me. i hope it does.

KLEPTOW
    I have 4 that other boaters through out. I drained the things all the way down and trickle them back up. The oldest is about 8 years old.
    Even if the battery is not connected to anything it is discharging, They should ether get busy charging or get busy diying.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast