Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My uncle has Alzheimer's Disease. What a sad, scarry, disease.

beaverretriever
    My uncle and aunt are visiting from Montana and staying at my parents house. My uncle (dads brother) is 65 and is in the severe stages of Alzheimers.
    When I saw him, I got so upset I had to go to another room for about a half an hour to collect myself.
    He can barely speak and when he does, its just mumbled words that don't make a sentence. He forgets to eat, can't wipe his own ass, can't shower by himself, he can't do anything at all without help, shits and pisses his pants!
    He has a small metal box that he carries around two die cast mustangs, and a very small stuffed Panda bear. They keep him entertained. He is like an infant.
    It makes me cry just thinking about what an AWESOME guy he is and how cool he used to be. He is BY FAR my favorite uncle.
    Its just absolutely the worst thing I have seen. My father is only 2 yrs younger. I hope he stays healthy. I don't know what I would do if my dad ended up like that.
    Lucky for my uncle his wife Leanna is a fricken saint sent from God and has taken care of him for the last 9 yrs as he has progressively gotten worse. She says all his functions are getting close to shutting down, and he probably won't last another yr. I hate to say it, but it would be the best for everyone.
    Here is a link about the disease if you don't know what it does to you.
    http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_diseas...alzheimers.asp

Wet Dream
    Sometimes you need a good cry. It is a horrible thing to watch, especially if you know what the person was like during the better times of his life.
    When you're done reaching for the Kleenex, gain some strength and go in there with a compassionate deameanor, a sheet of paper, a pen and the goal to get him to sign a new will benefitting you

beaverretriever
    Sometimes you need a good cry. It is a horrible thing to watch, especially if you know what the person was like during the better times of his life.
    When you're done reaching for the Kleenex, gain some strength and go in there with a compassionate deameanor, a sheet of paper, a pen and the goal to get him to sign a new will benefitting you
    They don't have much anyways. I actually do what I can to help them out. The sad part is, his wife gives and gives when she doesn' have shit.

catalinaskiracer
    Mine and my families prayers for you and yours. My Mom has been in a home for going on 3 years with the same. I can't really say it gets any easier seeing them like that but I take comfort that she is basiclly happy and not in any pain.
    Good Luck, stay strong!
    My uncle and aunt are visiting from Montana and staying at my parents house. My uncle (dads brother) is 65 and is in the severe stages of Alzheimers.
    When I saw him, I got so upset I had to go to another room for about a half an hour to collect myself.
    He can barely speak and when he does, its just mumbled words that don't make a sentence. He forgets to eat, can't wipe his own ass, can't shower by himself, he can't do anything at all without help, shits and pisses his pants!
    He has a small metal box that he carries around two die cast mustangs, and a very small stuffed Panda bear. They keep him entertained. He is like an infant.
    It makes me cry just thinking about what an AWESOME guy he is and how cool he used to be. He is BY FAR my favorite uncle.
    Its just absolutely the worst thing I have seen. My father is only 2 yrs younger. I hope he stays healthy. I don't know what I would do if my dad ended up like that.
    Lucky for my uncle his wife Leanna is a fricken saint sent from God and has taken care of him for the last 9 yrs as he has progressively gotten worse. She says all his functions are getting close to shutting down, and he probably won't last another yr. I hate to say it, but it would be the best for everyone.
    Here is a link about the disease if you don't know what it does to you.
    http://www.alz.org/alzheimers_diseas...alzheimers.asp

Wet Dream
    They don't have much anyways. I actually do what I can to help them out. The sad part is, his wife gives and gives when she doesn' have shit.
    Its an unfortunate circumtance. Hopefully, they do have a nice life insurance policy. I'm just guessing that the wife doesn't work since she has been taking care of him so long. That only means no real working income, and he's dibilitated, so they might get assistance. When he does pass and if they have no substancial life ins, and no savings, she'll be struggling. On the other hand, if they do have a nice policy, she'll be able to get on knowing that she is financially stable and able to do what she needs to do to find a home, or work or just relax and be able to do what SHE wants to for a little while.

burbanite
    My dad has it now.
    He was one of the biggest influences in my life and then all of a sudden this outgoing, take on anything, kind to everyone, generous to a fault man is now reduced to the level of an infant. It make me tear up each time I think of it.
    They understand love and that is all you can give that will make a difference.

Mandelon
    Sorry to hear such sad news. Its a more common disease than most people think.
    Try to enjoy your life now, while you still can, but prepare for the future too.

havaduner
    Sorry to hear about your uncle, John. One of my uncles was diagnosed with Alzhiemers last year. It became apparent there was a problem when he started having trouble remembering how to get home from wherever they might have been. I thought it was because they have moved several times in the last few years.
    At this point he is in total denial, and my Aunt has to put up with his anger over the whole thing. I am trying to maintain better contact with them, but I also know if and when it gets real bad, I'll have a tough time dealing with that as well. Stay strong, and remember him in better times.

HocusPocus
    i understand where your coming from, my wifes grandfather (92) has it bad. her aunt and uncle bought him the house next door to theirs in Henderson so they wouldn't have to put him in a home. they have an assistant there for him during the day and lock him up in the house each night. he doesn't like company so we don't even visit him anymore. its very sad to see anyone in that situation.

Flyinbowtie
    Your words carry the depth of your pain.
    It is an ugly, tragic illness, that does leave everyone in the family feeling helpless. You and your family will be in our prayers. Your uncle is fortunate that he is married to one of those "saints", I've seen people fall victim to this who had no one to help them, and it gets real ugly.
    Hang in there, remember the man he was, and he will live forever.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast