Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My uncle has Alzheimer's Disease. What a sad, scarry, disease.

beaverretriever
    Sorry to hear such sad news. Its a more common disease than most people think.
    Over 5 million people have it in the US. What I don't understand is they say it has gone up 350% since the yr 2000. I wonder what they contribute that to?
    Thanks for all the kind words. Unfortunately there really is nothing anyone can do except watch and wait. I really feel for his wife Leanna. I don't know how she does it. Its like taking care of a 6foot tall 1.5 yr old.
    BTW, I don't know there insurance situation (I am assuming its not good). I do know they are pretty broke. Leanna is very smart and she will figure somthing out, and we are always here for her.

Baja Big Dog
    It just SUCKS...
    I watched my buddies mom go through it, it was inhumane, period, it makes me ask the same religion question....why?
    She was funny as hell sometimes, she had an idea she had it, but they don't really know, if you asked her where her purse was she wouldn't remember 5 minutes later. She made the best chicken and dumplings ever, we were sitting around talking about the dumplings one day and she just spouted the recipe out like she was reading IT from the book!!! We about crapped, she did this alot, would remember things from 30 years ago, but would forget why you were talking about it!!

trawfish
    Very sorry to hear about your uncle. I can understand how difficult it is deal with.... I lost my father in 03' who had it, lived with my grandmother until just before she passed, she had it real bad, and just had my father-in-law staying with me for a month who has is pretty bad.
    I had to really help the wife understand how to deal with it. If I had to suggest anything, do exactly as some of the others have said... deal with him like a baby, slow down, make jokes and laugh just like you would with a baby. Sounds mean, but it works out well in my experience (be careful not to insult them though). It's hard to look at the person and put aside who they were and deal with who they are now.

I'mTheBeaver
    Aunt Leanna is such a strong woman to be dealing with her husband's sickness on top of her own grief (her own mother passed away last week). Leanna's developed hyperthyroid and high cholesterol to boot. The doctor has her on an extreme diet where she can only eat specific things. Some of the "approved" foods are things like chicken heart, chicken liver, and venison. And then there are things I've never heard of.
    What amazes me is she is still happy and you can just see the undying love she has for Uncle Frank. WOW.
    Uncle Frank is SO CUTE though. First thing he did when he saw me was he placed that metal box right on the counter in front of me and asked me to open it and then he showed off his cars. He's very proud of them.
    I almost cried at the dinner table when he was saying grace. Nothing he said was coherent, just random words but still blessings as they were.
    And so we are fortunate to be able to see him and hug him, even if it's for the last time.
    Don't be sad for Uncle Frank, sweetie. He is happy and I doubt he is aware of the condition he is in. All we can do is what trawfish said--joke and laugh with him, and give him lots of hugs (even though him passing gas can be unbearable at times...LOL!!)

I'mTheBeaver
    I just want to say that I'm not downplaying the disease. It is very serious and fatal. There is nothing we can do except help make the lives of those affected easier, not by feeling sorry for them but by giving lots of love.

Jyruiz
    Sorry to hear bro, its tough to see a love one go through any type of illnes/desease.

Sherpa
    sorry to hear about his troubles........ life deals curves to alot of people.....
    All you can do is make people comfortable, and act like nothing is out of
    the ordinary.........
    pretty hard to do..........
    --Sherpa

Slacker
    Sorry to hear, my soon to be wifes grandfather had it.It is a terrible illness that no one should go through. I think he was diganosed in 2001 and finally passed away earlier this year. Its sad to see someone who is so strong just waste away to nothing. CT

lewiville
    well, I had an uncle that died with it and now my father in law has it. We get excited to see him when he has good days. We wish the bad days didn last so long.

Wavemaker
    I am so sorry for you family and uncle.
    My brother and I took care of my father who suffered with Alzheimer's for nearly 14 years. At first, he stayed at home with Mom, where we were raised, until the time came that he required around the clock professional care. We would bring him home for Holidays or weekend visits when we could. As his Alzheimer's progressed into more advanced stages requiring more intense care, we placed him into a great Alzheimer's care facility. Expensive, yes, very much so. However, he was our great Dad that raised us and taught us what we know and respect. To watch this disease take over the mind and body of such a great guy as my Dad was is really sad and hurtful. Do all you can for your uncle. Some days he may have very clear memories and others may be like an infant. Be as strong as you can. Many times driving home after visiting Dad, I shead a tear or two on the way home. When Dad finally passed away, both my brother and I felt we were burying the shell of my Dad. We prefer to remember him in all of the great times our family shared together. My my thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast