Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prop shaft question

superdave013
    Sounds like you have the right guy helping you. When I was just getting into racing I ran against some of the boats he setup. Lew Larson is another very, very good guy at setting up flatbottoms.

Sangerboy
    Superdave, do you have an address or phone# for Lew Larsons shop? I don't think you can ever have to many resources. I'd like to file that information.

Pro Gas Flat
    There are so many reasons why a flat will porpos, its mind boggeling. The most common reason is lack of power, it will never go away if you dont make enough beans to carry the the nose, no matter where the prop is. Second is strut, engine, and v-drive location all have to be correct for the amount of power the engine makes. Some boats are set up for normally aspirated engines and others for blown, not only for locations, but strut angles as well. The weight of the boat will also make a huge difference, as well as how much gear you are trying to pull. Biggest mistake that everyone makes in a river boat is too much gear. The motor will never burn the propellor enough to let the boat wheelie into a nice set on the ential hit and from there on out the rest of the pass the boat will porpus forever. Spring pressure also is very critical, the more spring the plates have the better. Also the propellor is a huge factor, no one prop is good for everyone's flat, everyone's set ups are different, you just have to break out the wallet and start your very own prop collection, about $700 a pop. You just have to try alot of different things, but I can tell you one thing your not a nickel or two changes away from solving the porposing problem, way more info on the set up is needed as well as engine information. Thought I would give my 2cents, Ive seen more people go the wrong way than the right, with their set ups.
    [This message has been edited by Pro Gas Flat (edited August 27, 2001).]

Bad Ass Flat
    Pro gas flat what makes you an authority on boat porpoising? Are you an expert? You no doubt drive an all white boat. Like you own a lot of propellers

Leon
    Hey Pro Gas Flat. Hi you must be slowboats friend from dragboatracing.com. He talks about you all the time and says you guys are very interested in his jet hydro project. I think you shoyuld give him some advice. He needs all the help he can get trying to go 100 so he doesn't lose the family fortune.

Pro Gas Flat
    Bad Ass Flat, the only way I can show some "Hang Fin" to the crowd is when she's on her 10th hop or so, then she's really flying. You know the same way your ride looks out of the gate, setting into a nice doink, doink, doink, let it get in your face alittle quit being a bitch and drive it like you have a pair.

Bad Ass Flat
    Pro Gas Flat, I'm giving her all she has. Whippin her hard. It is good to see you on. I can't stop stop doinking it. How about the river this weekend?

PGF545
    Doink, Doink, Doink... thought that is how you drive a PGF. Hang Fin for a little while then doink it to the right, then doink it to the left and then flop it right on the bottom....thats right isn't it???

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12