Hello everyone, Im new to the board and this is my very first post. Im not sure if this is the best place for this...but I hope so..so here goes.
Id like to start off by saying Im not actually a boat guy....Im a street rodder myself, so bear with me if you could please. But, I do have a "thing" for the big chevy and Im tryin to help a guy out on a boat project. And, I heard this was the place to be for boat info....I just hope you guys like street guys hehe.
Anyways, the boat in question is a V drive flat bottom with a "lake lay up" hull. The hull is said to weight about 600-700lbs and overall weight is 1500 lbs. He is hoping for around 110 MPH and beleives he will need around 650-700 horses. Thats about all I know about this boat. Oh, and he is building a 496 stroker(4.25 stroke) and mainly needs info on the engine setup.
Well, here is my dilemma. As I said, I dig street cars and making that kinda power at a streetable rpm(Around 6300-6300) with around 500 inches is no big deal on pump gas with good parts.....I could spit out combos for that all day. But, he told me that many boaters have said to him that with the light V drive boat he would be better off to shoot for a high revving engine(like 7000rpm plus). Im not disagreeing....I just ask why? Is it due to the V drive setup and the prop and all that? Or, if youve got the power needed and the right setup, are you just as capable running just as fast at a lower rpm? Just as an educated guess, I would think it would be great to build as much power as you can at as low of an engine speed as possible. This would add to engine life if you can help to "spin all those parts around" at lower engine speeds.
But, if the V drive setup would prefer less of a high powered low rpm grunter, and more of a high rpm deal.....than we could go that route to. I just wanted your opinion cause I personally would want to build something that spins 6500rpm at best making around 700 horsepower....but I dont want to give the wrong advice. Sorry for being so long winded guys, and I appreciate all of your time. Thanks again!