Thread: Stepped Hull

Taylorman
    I dont fully understand what the purpose of stepping the bottom of a hull serves? I assume it has to do with freeing up the hull but i dont grasp the conept of the hull getting higher toward the back of the boat.

Marty Gras
    When you 'relieve' the tail areas, you put "false rocker" in the hull bottom. The steps make the gross weight of the boat 'sit back' on the tail. This makes the strakes and other hull bottom surfaces ATTACK the water at an UP ANGLE. The UP ANGLE holds the nose up, and the steps let the tail ride at a lower level to the water surface. Boats with no steps, need "up drive trim" to lift the nose at high speeds. Boats with correct balance and steps, need less "up drive trim", and tend to LIFT THEMSELVES at the correct attack angle. Stepped bottoms have been around since the 1920's, but GOOD FAST stepped bottoms are hard to find.

BOBALOO
    I dont grasp the conept of the hull getting higher toward the back of the boat.
    Are you thinking of a notched hull?

iRepo
    Ok, I was just told how this works, so if I am off a bit, forgive. Each step creates a point of high pressure under the boat. As the high pressure point forces the water to the rear of the step the "angle of attack" creates lift towards the end of the step. So with a two stepped hull you have three points of lift under each side of the hull, two steps and the transom, which puts more of the hull above the water creating less drag and more speed.