Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To muffle or not to muffle...that is the ???

Partycattin
    I've a 22' Partycat with a 454. I put Imco Powerflows on it a year or so ago with exhaust going through the transom instead of through the drive.
    The motor is pretty much stock so I'm not getting a lot of return on my investment in the HP department. It is definetly a lot louder. Boat sounds good.
    The back seat of the partycat is right above the rear of the boat (not 4-6 feet like most boats). It can get pretty loud sitting back there while cruising at 40.
    A friend gave me a pair of exhaust tips with the silencer insert in them. I was wondering if it would affect my HP much if I installed them.
    I'm toying with trying them out. Wouldn't mind being able to hear more stereo and less exhaust. (The real solution here is to add more amps to the stereo!)

Mandelon
    Is a couple HP going to make a big difference with that floating stadium you call a boat.

brad22
    I believe that any good silencer system will affect HP. It wouldnt work if it didn't. You might lose 100-200 RPM from what I have heard with a basic slip-in silencer on the 496.
    Good Luck
    Brad

Mountainstone
    Mount a switchable exhaust. Through-transom for sounding cool, and through the drive when you are cruising.

Mike67rs
    Unless you launch at the marina I wouldnt worry about it. I lost some performance with the slip-in mufflers. If I had it to do over again, I would not have had them installed. Mike

BigDogIvan
    Mount a switchable exhaust. Through-transom for sounding cool, and through the drive when you are cruising.
    That's what I was thinking. A silant choice setup.

LUVNLIFE
    I believe switchable exhaust is illiegal in California. It has to do with the operator knowing he is too loud and then switching to the muffled side I believe

I believe switchable exhaust is illiegal in California.
    Didn't you know that EVERYTHING is illegal in california?

LUVNLIFE
    Didn't you know that EVERYTHING is illegal in california?
    LOL. Yes I do and can't wait to leave this hell hole

LOL. Yes I do and can't wait to leave this hell hole
    Hopefully I will be putting the house up for sale after the first of the year. Then moving to maybe havi around the summer. I will not boat in california waters. Too many restrictions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast